Oil & Fuel Which Kohler oil filter?

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #11  
I use a AC Delco PH53 on my 1046. $2.50 vs. $8

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #12  
I'm taking it your 1050 has the Command engine in it being a 2005. In that event, the 12-50-02 is NOT the right filter for your engine, as that is the one designed for the 26 HP Courage. You need to use the -01 or -08 for your Command engine to have the right filter on there. There are probably tons of filters that will fit and thread on to your engine- that does not make them the right one- use the right OEM filter OR it's PROPER equivalent. The -02 is not the proper equivalent. -Fordlords-

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #13  
We have a 25HP Kohler Command and Kohler makes two different sized filters for it, a short one and a taller one. Either one will work on ours.

For yours, does your engine manual say anything about acceptable filters? Call a local small engine shop and check with them or call your dealer.

/ Which Kohler oil filter?
Fordlords,
I must apologize, I read your reply wrong (I didn't pick up on the word courage). I will stick with the 12-050-01, just like you said. Don't want to mess up my Cub. I can tell by your responses on this site, your someone who know his stuff. Thanks again, Fish4um

P.S. Come on springtime!!!

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #15  
I know there is a lot of discussion about using the correct filter but I don't think it's rocket science. I used Fram car filters on the hydro on my CC 1450, which ran for 26 years (1100 hours) until I traded it in on a new 3235 in 2004. It didn't have an engine filter. I've been using the correct CC filter on the 3235 hydro since I bought 4 of them at Lowes for $6 each but I've been using a Fram PH3614 car filter on the engine. We have 2 vehicles in the family that use that filter and it has the same thread and gasket size as the cub. It's slightly longer but doesn't interfere with anything. Most internal combustion engines with a pressure oil system have a similar design and oil pressures in similar ranges so there shouldn't be any major differences in pressure release valves.
Just my two cents. If you have any doubts, don't try it. I've been an auto mechanic, as a hobby, for almost 60 years so if something does break I'll probably be the one that has to fix it.

Bob B.

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #16  
Bob, I respect your knowledge but my question to the "will this oil filter fit" type of questions is ...... why? Getting the correct filter specified by the engine manufacturer isn't difficult. Maybe it means a trip to the CC dealer rather than Autozone, but most of us end up at the dealer for something during the year. Its not a high dollar item so if there is a savings its a few bucks a year.

Anyway, to me the easy way to know you have the right filter is to use the one listed in the manual.

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #17  
I can easily show and demonstrate 2 models of Fram oil filters with the same external dimensions, threads, and gasket sizes. One is for a Porsche flat 6 engine, the other for a Buick 231 V6. Internally, a different story. Oil filters are not, "If the shoe fits, wear it," thing.
-Fordlords-

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #18  
Bob_Bainbridge said:
I know there is a lot of discussion about using the correct filter but I don't think it's rocket science...

I couldn't agree more Bob. Use your noodle a bit, compare specs and use any make & exterior size you and your machine are comfortable with. I personally have never seen an engine oil filter damage an engine. I have *heard* of frams blowing their guts internally and did purchase a fram for an old ford about 20yrs ago that had a collapsed center tube right out of the box, but that's it from my non-expert knowledge on this.

Joel

Last edited:
   / Which Kohler oil filter?
Here is the reply I just got back from Kohler if anyone care to know>>> Thank you for contacting the Kohler Company. Sorry for the long delay
in responding to your question. Yes, you can use that oil filter with
no issues whatsoever, besides that you will need to add more oil to the
crankcase due to the larger filter (always use the dipstick!). For more
information than you really wanted to know:

Kohler sells three different sizes of oil filters: (1) Small 2.25" (28
050 01-S) (2) Medium 2.75" (12 050 01-S) and (3) Large 3.5" (52 050
02-S). The only difference between these three oil filters is the
length, and thus the filtering capability. The smaller filters are made
for applications where there is not adequate clearance for the larger
filters. Using the largest filter that will fit not only improves
filtering, but adds to the oil capacity of the engine, a good thing.

/ Which Kohler oil filter? #20  
Fish4um-quote-Kohler sells three different sizes of oil filters: (1) Small 2.25" (28 050 01-S) (2) Medium 2.75" (12 050 01-S) and (3) Large 3.5" (52 050
02-S).

Thank you Fish4um for posting the Kohler response. I wish I had read your post before I needed a new filter on my 08 Craftsmen Tractor with the 26hp Kohler Courage. When new it had a 4" long Kohler oil filter marked 25 050 27. First I went to Sears-they only had the 2.25" long Kohler but would not assure me it was suitable (the weird part number on my oem filter made them nervous). Then I went to Lowes who also had the 2.25" long Kohler,it looks so much smaller than mine it was scary. No help when I went to Walmart or Autozone either.

Finally our local independent auto parts store convinced me that their $6 3-3/8" long Wix 51348 was the proper filter for this motor. I installed it and have had no problems at all. Apparently Wix makes the Napa Gold filter too and Napa's 1348 is the same as the Wix 51348.

Thanks again!