Which oil API class???

/ Which oil API class??? #1  

hooked up

Tractor
Kubota ZD331, Kioti DK50, Kubota B6200
PLEASE HELP!
I need to do the first service on my Kubota ZD331 and I'm confused about the API classifications.
It calls for 15w 40 API class CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4. The manual also states that "The CJ-4 oil is not intended for DPF type engines, and CANNOT be used on this machine."
I then checked a bottle of the Rotella T and it is CJ-4! Glad I read the manual. I have been using the Rotella T in my other two tractors. I was hoping I could run the same oil in the ZD331.
The other machines are an old Kubota B6200 and a Kioti DK50 (these two call for CC or CD)...maybe I shouldn't be running the Rotella T in these either???

and please don't tell me to ask the dealer...
I have my shell lube tech 'working on it', but I would like to change the oil this decade...
DOes anyone know about this stuff?

/ Which oil API class??? #2  
I'm sure you will get more guidance, but I believe that issue is not longer in effect. It was a temporary concern during the last EPA mandated low sulfur, or next step in pollution control class on the engines.

Rotella is safe to use in your machine. No worries.

/ Which oil API class???
thanks for your help bp fick. Rotella T it is...or maybe T6?

/ Which oil API class??? #4  
If it is a concern, just use Kubota oil. It is CF-4 Plus.

/ Which oil API class??? #5  
As I understand it, those warnings against CJ-4 was a warning not to use with high sulphur fuel. There was a conflict. But all that is history.

Since we only have ultra low sulphur fuels now, the concern is mute. End of story.

/ Which oil API class??? #6  
To my knowledge tractors and other off-road diesels do not have D.P.Fs ie Diesel Particulate Filters as do the USA heavy and light on road diesel engines E.P.A. mandated after 1\1\2008.These engines require a low ash content oil formulated not to produce as much soot to aid in cleaner air.This oil can be used in all diesel engines without any problems,however the DPF equiped vehicles must use this API class CI-4 Plus CJ 4 CF/SM-4 LE I have used Chevron Delo 400 LE exclusively in my Kubota for over 500 hrs with no problems. Scotty

/ Which oil API class???
Thanks for the replies fellas.

What really confuses me is what the manual reads (I have included everything in the oil section of the manual) and I quote:

-With the emission control now in affect, the CF-4 and CG-4 lubricating oils have been developed for use of a low-sulphur fuel on on-road vehicle engines. When an off-road vehicle engine runs on a high-sulphur fuel, it is advisable to employ the "CF or better" lubricating oil with a Total Base Number (TBN). If the "CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4" lubricating oil is used with a high-sulphur fuel, change the lubricating oil at shorter intervals. (approximately half)

-Lubricating oil recommended when a low-sulphur or high-sulphur fuel is employed.
O : recommended X : not reccomended

oil class low-sulphur fuel high-sulphur fuel

CF O O
CF-4 O X
CG-4 O X
CH-4 O X
CI-4 O X

-The CJ-4 engine oil is intented for DPF (diesel particulate filter) type engines, and cannot be used on this machine.

End of quote.

So, they are aware of the hi and low sulphur diesel fuels, but this manual is dated 2007.
My dealer doesn't know, my shell rep doesn't know, and shell global won't get back to me. I am going to contact Kubota head office tomorrow.

As RJKOBBEMAN suggested, I might just have to go and get the Kubota oil. I ain't putting anything in that might void the warranty.

I know many of you use Rotella T (or the like) which is CJ-4 in the same or similar machines, as do I in my other machines...we couldn't all be using the wrong stuff? I THINK CJ-4 is fine, but I DO know what the manual states.:confused: I will let you know what I find out....someday

/ Which oil API class??? #8  
Remember the old days when everything was simple?You gotta wonder if info gets messed up in translation.To my knowledge you can't get anything other than low sulpher Diesel fuel in the USA even the off road red dyed fuels are low sulpher.Most of the larger cities are selling 95% 5% bio blends as mandated by the clean air act.It was early in 2007 when the D.P.F. equipped vehicles were introduced.I found a website that has some very useful info that might help you.Mobil Delvac | Heavy Duty Engine Oil & Lubrication Hope this helps.... Scotty

/ Which oil API class???
Thanks for the link Scotty..I'll give it a read.

/ Which oil API class??? #10  
If it is a concern, just use Kubota oil. It is CF-4 Plus.

I meant to say CI-4 / CI-4 Plus.

I thought it looked wrong when I posted it...

The new CJ-4 is probably fine, even though Kubota owner's manuals state to not use it. If you're not worried about using CJ-4, go find the best stuff. If you are concerned and want to use CI-4, just buy Kubota oil.