Which oil API class???

/ Which oil API class???
I finally got an answer! I don't really like this part: "to maintain your warranty on your tractor you need to use genuine Kubota oils and filters." Isn't that against the law?

Anyway, you can use the API class CJ-4 oils in the ZD331 even if your manual (printed in 2007) clearly tells you NOT to.:D That is all I wanted to know from Kubota. I didn't think I was asking too much...

I plan on running 15w-40 until 150 hours then swithing to synthenic 5w-40.

If you would like a copy of the email with the 'memo' (it explains more about the API classes) send me a PM and I will email it to you.

Here is the email (I couldn't attach the 'memo').

Oct. 1, 2010

Mr. McDonald

Thank you for taking the time to send in this request for information on you Kubota ZD331.

The new design engines and new types of oil can be somewhat confusing and the way it is shown in
the operator manual may not be clear. The engines that we use now meet what is called Tier 3 emission
standards. To meet these standards different engines use different methods to clean the exhaust.
In some cases only a specific oil will work in that engine.
The CJ-4 oil that you are asking about is specifically designed for an engine that uses an engine exhaust after treatment process to help eliminate diesel particulates.
This CJ-4 oil also works in any other diesel engine because it meets or exceeds all previous criteria for engines that do not use the exhaust after treatment system.

To maintain your warranty on your tractor you need to use genuine Kubota oils and filters.
You can view the Kubota warranty on the Kubota.ca website for full details or see you dealer.

Attached below is a short memo from our Kubota engine dept. explaining the oil changes over the years.

I trust that this will help explain the oils and their use.

Thanks again for taking the time to correspond with us on your concern and for purchasing our
Kubota product

Brian Lee
Product Service Manager
Eastern Ontario

/ Which oil API class??? #22  
I finally got an answer! I don't really like this part: "to maintain your warranty on your tractor you need to use genuine Kubota oils and filters." Isn't that against the law?

Brian Lee
Product Service Manager
Eastern Ontario

Apparently they are ignorant of the "Magnuson Moss Act" which, in addition to other consumer protections, specifically states that a manufacturer CANNOT require the use of OEM brand "maintenance" parts in order to maintain or retain warranty coverage.

/ Which oil API class??? #23  
Apparently they are ignorant of the "Magnuson Moss Act" which, in addition to other consumer protections, specifically states that a manufacturer CANNOT require the use of OEM brand "maintenance" parts in order to maintain or retain warranty coverage.

I rather doubt any law passed in the US Congress has much bearing on The Truth North Strong And Free. O Canada, eh?

/ Which oil API class??? #24  
Yea, I caught that myself too, but thanks for pointing out my inattentiveness :)

/ Which oil API class??? #26  
OMG--So my Kubota will blow up if I do not use Kubota fluids and filters? What is next, Kubota air, Kubota fuel, Fuel cleaning products, Kubota wrenches...Heck, I myself should get Kubota approved...LOL

This is a topic about 25 years old..Prove I did NOT USE Kubota fluids...little slips will not cut it.