Which Old Ford Tractor??

/ Which Old Ford Tractor??
If I had not found the 1966 3000 diesel I would have considered the 800 series with a 5 speed and double clutch. Hopefully we will make progress getting the Ford 711 with two way control of the bucket curling installed. Clearly if I had the money and a place to store it that red 800 would be my "new" dream tractor. Finding people who can reseal the rear axle when they start leaking on the brake shoes so they will last another 30-50 years and rebuilt the power steering controls back to like new condition I am finding is hard and if you do not cheap.

We just picked up Rusty the 1980 3600 diesel because he as basically one owner with 2288 hours but has set outside at least for the last 32 years. While it has the 8 speed transmission it still is very much like the 800 series.

I'm not familiar with that model - I'll have to look it up! Thanks for the comment!

I grew up with a Ford 900 Wide Front end Diesel, and while it is 100% nostaligic in reasons why I liked it I admit, I should have never traded it in. I only got $1500 for it anyway, but it was just a nice tractor.

Geared perfectly for only a 4 speed
Had 3 Point Hitch
Good power to weight ratio
Capable with a loader with good tires and counterweight
DRAFT CONTROL...is was a dream to plow with

Admittedly nostalgic, but nonetheless...

Well, it's never too late - there's a couple of them on my local Craigslist for around 2,500.00. The wide front ends look pretty cool!

I had a 1949 8N for about 16 years. My father in law convinced me to get one. A darn good little tractor for it's size and simple to work on and easy to find parts. In that time I had a chance to figure out what Ford I wanted that would better fit my needs and decided I wanted an 861 or 661. To my luck I found an '59 861 Diesel for sale a few years ago. It had some hidden surprises for me in the first 2 hours extended operation that cost me extra money in parts & my labor. I am still happy with my choice of The 861D model, now that I got most of the problems fixed that the seller failed to disclose. It has the 5 speed transmission that first gear is much slower than my 8N was. Someone can slowly walk beside this when in first. It has the dual clutch live PTO that can quickly be changed to a normal acting clutch with the change of a pin on the clutch rod. I love the fact that it is a diesel and I no longer have plugs, wires, points, condenser or a carburetor to fiddle with. It has proven to be much more dependable than the old 8N gasser. It is heavier and stronger than the little 8N was too. While it is a little more rare than Ns, I can still easily get most of the parts to keep her running long after I'm dead and gone. And it has the Red Tiger overhead valve engine. The N series engines were more like the early Ford car A model flathead engines.
View attachment 550218

Thanks. That helps a lot. There's a 641 close to me I went to look at earlier today. I'm going to post a picture as ask the community about the Sherman Combination Transmission. Is there a difference or is it the same as the Sherman Hi/Low transmission?

Ford1.jpgford2.jpgford3.jpg

This is the one I looked at today. The unit is purported to have a Sherman Combination Transmission. You can easily see the lever on the left-hand-side of the unit under/to the rear of the air cleaner canister. Is that in fact, proof that this unit has a Sherman Transmission and if so, what, if any is the difference between the Sherman Combination Transmission and the Sherman Hi/Low Transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Which Old Ford Tractor?? #15  
I grew up with a Ford 900 Wide Front end Diesel, and while it is 100% nostaligic in reasons why I liked it I admit, I should have never traded it in. I only got $1500 for it anyway, but it was just a nice tractor.

Geared perfectly for only a 4 speed
Had 3 Point Hitch
Good power to weight ratio
Capable with a loader with good tires and counterweight
DRAFT CONTROL...is was a dream to plow with

Admittedly nostalgic, but nonetheless...

TRACTORS & GUNS SHOULD NEVER BE SOLD !!!!

/ Which Old Ford Tractor?? #16  
View attachment 550270View attachment 550271View attachment 550272

This is the one I looked at today. The unit is purported to have a Sherman Combination Transmission. You can easily see the lever on the left-hand-side of the unit under/to the rear of the air cleaner canister. Is that in fact, proof that this unit has a Sherman Transmission and if so, what, if any is the difference between the Sherman Combination Transmission and the Sherman Hi/Low Transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

I have never see any of the Sherman options. The tractor may have had power steering or both radial arms were robbed off of that era of one with power steering.

/ Which Old Ford Tractor?? #17  
I have never see any of the Sherman options. The tractor may have had power steering or both radial arms were robbed off of that era of one with power steering.

I have a Sherman on my 1951 8N.
Can anyone tell me how I can identify which type it is?
Combination? High/low?/Whatever?

/ Which Old Ford Tractor?? #18  
   / Which Old Ford Tractor?? #19  
If I had not found the 1966 3000 diesel I would have considered the 800 series with a 5 speed and double clutch. Hopefully we will make progress getting the Ford 711 with two way control of the bucket curling installed. Clearly if I had the money and a place to store it that red 800 would be my "new" dream tractor. Finding people who can reseal the rear axle when they start leaking on the brake shoes so they will last another 30-50 years and rebuilt the power steering controls back to like new condition I am finding is hard and if you do not cheap.

We just picked up Rusty the 1980 3600 diesel because he as basically one owner with 2288 hours but has set outside at least for the last 32 years. While it has the 8 speed transmission it still is very much like the 800 series.

I have a '65 3000D live, 8 sp, after market PS. Super tractor for the 40 hp range. Can't beat the fuel economy and zero problems.

/ Which Old Ford Tractor?? #20  
I was with a friend last week at an equipment auction and saw an old Ford 8N go for $900.00. The price didn't capture my attention at all. It was the lines on the sheet metal and the sound of that gasoline engine. That night, I was looking at YouTube and saw the 2N, 8N, 9N and the '53 NAA Golden Jubilee. I think I'm in love and I want one to completely tear down and rebuild.........Ford Red Tiger Engine and all. I also think I like the 641 and 841 respectively. No matter what I get, it's main purpose will be show but I don't own anything that doesn't start right up and run like it should.

All that said, my question is - which one should I buy and why? Should I get one with the Sherman Hi/Low tranny? What should I be wary of and what should I upgrade during the restoration? I'm very curious and would really love to see some pictures from guys who have gone this way before me. Thanx in advance........:)

Old tractors are such a personal thing. Ask yourself what you find attractive and what you plan to do with it. I like to tinker, but don't like full rebuilds. And I like for the tractor to be useful for some work around the place. Do you want it to just pull, or would there be a loader and PTO driven implements in its future? Are these things more important than the totally vintage look of the 8N? Like you, I do like the sound of that old low compression low speed gas engine. Simple & bulletproof.

If it's future includes some work, look for one that already has add-on power assist steering, a Sherman, and/or the dual clutch PTO. These add-ons often come with a tractor, but if you buy them after the fact they can cost as much as the tractor did.
Whether they work right or not isn't as important as having them come with the tractor. Parts are available, and after all, you like to turn wrenches on old machinery or you wouldn't be looking at one of the old ones at all.
The surprise comes when it is all together and you'll find that it really can do the work. And in most cases just as well as a newer tractor - although always with noticibly less operator comfort.
And you're going to find that old implements work just as well as the newer ones.
luck,
rScotty

Last edited: