which portable generators do people have

/ which portable generators do people have #21  
I also bought a DuraStar 10000E ; $649 delivered. I also had the propane supplier splice into my house propane supply line and add a connector for my propane/gas generator.

In case of a long term power outage we'll need power for the water well pumps as well as some of the house items. Those little 20# tanks don't last all that long, and we need to be prepared 'in case there's a hurricane blowing up out in the Gulf or the Atlantic'.

We also have a pair of Honda 2000i generators that we used back during the Hurricane Ike days. Those are super little generators, although expensive, but they don't have 240v power. What they do though is they run forever, i.e. 13 hours per gallon of gasoline, and they're extremely quiet.

One can't have too many generators - like tractors :)

/ which portable generators do people have #22  
I have a 3K watt Honda generator. I put it in the back of my ATP and use it with my power tools, all over the property.

/ which portable generators do people have #23  
These are nice generators, but for a home, it is really nice to have 220 volts, especially with a well pump.
IF I need 220V, I get out this,

standard.jpg

But, the OP asked about portable gensets...

The above pict. was taken while I was running my compressor, welder and grinder...

SR

/ which portable generators do people have #24  
People's generator needs will vary, and the whole system needs to be designed. I sympathize with people in in the South whose homes become uninhabitable if the AC goes out. Running a couple window shakers is pretty minor, but a 5 ton central AC system requires a serious power supply. Likewise, people in the upper midwest with all-electric homes have to have power 24/7 to keep the furnace running. Contrast that to my mild climate and a house outfitted with fine 19th century technology. Electricity is a convenience, not a necessity. We can cook on the wood stove, or heat water for a bath. We can go a couple weeks without doing laundry, and gravity feed water will last almost a month. When I used a gas powered generator, I wouldn't even bother to get it out of the barn until the second day of a power outage. I often used a little 1000w camp generator to run the fridge and freezer or the satellite dish. It would run 4.5 hours on 2 quarts of mixed gas. It wouldn't run the water heater or water pump, which is what the gas generator was for. Now that I have the propane unit with electric start wired to the transfer switch, the little generator will probably go back to duck hunting trips.

That said, I don't criticize someone who has an auto-start whole house standby generator on an automatic transfer switch. If you need it you need it. Or if cost is no object, go for it.

/ which portable generators do people have #25  
Larry, I set my house up the same way... I didn't want a power sucking home, so it's not...

I heat with wood, but it's central heat and it works much better with the fan on to push the heat around. SO, I choose to run a small Honda for that, along with the fridge...

For the toilet or other water needs, I have a "flowing well", I don't even have to pump it, it shoots out of the ground and I have a choice, pump it or catch a pail full. A full pail will flush the toilets, or it can be used for drinking ect... I keep plenty of "food grade" pails around...

My cook stove is gas, but I also have a wood fired cook stove with oven...and there's also the BBQ grill too...

Car batts will charge anything that needs recharged and we have plenty of LED lanterns and flash lights around the house... Batt powered radios too...

LOT's of low/no electrical options...

SR

/ which portable generators do people have #26  
People's generator needs will vary, and the whole system needs to be designed. I sympathize with people in in the South whose homes become uninhabitable if the AC goes out. Running a couple window shakers is pretty minor, but a 5 ton central AC system requires a serious power supply.

Here in California's Central Valley, lots of homes have 17+ton units!

/ which portable generators do people have #29  
   / which portable generators do people have #30  
Shopping for a portable generator. Don't want to power whole house, just some basic necessities. I see where they make a dual fuel ( gas or propane ) generator. Since we have propane for heat there will always be a supply at the house. I was thinking the size range at between 5000 to 8000 would be sufficient. We have 24 acres so i will be using it also to go out on the property for projects.

Thanks

Chuck H
HONDA,if you want a quality generator.Pricey but worth it..