Which trees are useful?

/ Which trees are useful? #11  
I have found a use for EVERY log that I milled no matter what specie it is!

There are NO bad species of wood, just different purposes for the different species!

SR

/ Which trees are useful? #12  
Red cedar and black locust are rot resistant. The locust will get very hard when dried. While not on your list these are valuable to use around a farm. Years ago barns would be in NC where built with oak and poplar strips was used to cover the seams between the boards on the north and west sides of the barn. That being said if you are thinking about building a wooden building these two species are valuable.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Which trees are useful? #13  
Consider milling some logs into the largest balks ( quarter sawn ) possible and store them properly. They could later be Milled to the required size.

• Good Post
   / Which trees are useful?
Red cedar and black locust are rot resistant. The locust will get very hard when dried. While not on your list these are valuable to use around a farm. Years ago barns would be in NC where built with oak and poplar strips was used to cover the seams between the boards on the north and west sides of the barn. That being said if you are thinking about building a wooden building these two species are valuable.
We have some black locust but mostly honey locust. Don't know if honey locust is as hard and durable as black but it is quite hard. The honey locusts do not get particularly large.

Red cedar is everywhere but due to decades of logging the bigger ones are getting hard to find.

There is an old barn on my place. Pretty much falling in. But, the cedar posts are still fairly solid and were put straight in the ground with sapwood removed. I think that barn is probably 60-70 years old.

/ Which trees are useful? #15  
Honey locust... if you can get past the thorns.

We have about 10,000 black locust trees. No thorns on the trunks. Just smaller ones on the branches. Never had a punctured tire from those. Extremely heavy dense wood. Great for fence poles and firewood, too.

Found an interesting comparison between the two.

/ Which trees are useful? #16  
I don't know which I envy most,someone with spare time and energy to log and mill lumber to give away or those that recieve free lumber. I don't have time and energy to meet daily obligations or find people willing to work for wages,much less free.

/ Which trees are useful? #17  
We have a lot of red cedar around here. It is popular for cedar chests. My daughter wants to line one of her clothes closets with it.

I am mostly asking about gum and poplar and sycamore because we have a lot of it. Especially gum. We never even used it for firewood growing up.
Isn't red cedar used for siding (clapboards and shakes)?

As others have noted, poplar is used in cabinetry, though from what I've been told it doesn't take stain well and is better for something that's gonna be painted. Must be a different variety than what grows around here though. The poplars I have are all in all pretty worthless trees other than they grow quickly. Not much for shade trees, they tend to die young and rot quickly then come down in storms. Not even good for firewood.
Never heard of gum.

/ Which trees are useful? #18  
Sweet gum trees are really nice looking trees with great wood.

However, you don't want them in your lawn, especially if you enjoy going barefoot in the grass... their seedpods are little spiked balls of pain. Akin to stepping on Lego blocks barefoot in the dark!

9AB73B66-D804-4972-A9A3-6239B551BDD7.jpeg

• Good Post
   / Which trees are useful? #19  
Isn't red cedar used for siding (clapboards and shakes)?

As others have noted, poplar is used in cabinetry, though from what I've been told it doesn't take stain well and is better for something that's gonna be painted. Must be a different variety than what grows around here though. The poplars I have are all in all pretty worthless trees other than they grow quickly. Not much for shade trees, they tend to die young and rot quickly then come down in storms. Not even good for firewood.
Never heard of gum.
There are many types of poplar. However, the tulip poplar, or yellow poplar, which I'm guessing the OP is talking about, is a very LARGE tree, often growing past 150' and 3-4' diameter. Very straight growing trees, with hardly any branches down low.

• Good Post
   / Which trees are useful? #20