Who else likes rocks?

/ Who else likes rocks? #11  
karmakanic
Enjoyed your rocky story...and those pictures. I'm very impressed by the scale of your work. Where I'm located, in Western MA, rocks are a little more common, but I dig them just the same. I have taken a couple of classes in dry wall building, and I plan to one day construct a few stone walls. In the meantime, I just keep stashing my supply of stones. I especially like the weathered mossy ones. I attached a pic from a class showing the initial stages of stone wall construction.

Attachments

• 33-167604-stoneclasscopy.jpg
    33-167604-stoneclasscopy.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 140
   / Who else likes rocks? #12  
I was happy with the 7 or 8 big fieldstones I took from the cornfield behind me (with the farmers permission) but you had quite a project there!!! Amazing!!

/ Who else likes rocks? #13  
Bellweather,

Where did you take the classes? I'm near Newburyport. I have a lack of rocks on my property (close to the Merrimac River). It's good & bad. Easy to dig, but It's going to cost me big bucks to put in that stone wall that I've always wanted.

/ Who else likes rocks? #14  
Karmakanic,
Enjoyed reading your rock story. The pictures of what you have done are really great. I can see why you needed that crawler, some of those rocks huge.
PJ

/ Who else likes rocks? #15  
Interesting story and some great pics. Sounds like you've got a great place there.

I love big rocks like you brought in. All I've got are little small rocks. Not much to look at and still hard on the mower/tiller/etc. My grandparents used to have two large rocks, almost as large as their house, in the front yard. I spent my childhood climbing all over them.

--Brad

/ Who else likes rocks? #16  
I am all kinds of impressed and drooling on myself. I don' t have rocks like that and your right the cost to import is high. But in the Upstate NY area we can look for old farms that have them and maybe buy them off the farmer.

/ Who else likes rocks? #17  
There is nothing Aussies like more than hearing stories like that about crazy Yanks!
So you wanna talk rocks hey? I had to bring in about 300 tons to fill in some swampy ground and fortify a road surface. The irony is that I have lots and lots of big, big rocks. Granite. Some are the size of a large house. I've always thought about burrowing into one and making a single rock house!
I am in the process of cutting a road through to access the top of my mountain. I have to cut through some rocks that protrude through the ground to about the size of a large TV. I wish I had a jack hammer attachment for my 25hp tractor but I can't find one to fit. So I use a diamond blade on a 230mm angle grinder to slice into them and then break them up with a 1300kw jack hammer. Take it from me its very hard work. Now I know what getting stoned means!
Any rock breaking suggestions for me, or do i have rocks in my head?

/ Who else likes rocks? #18  
yaouk...
Never seen you here before.....welcome.

/ Who else likes rocks? #19  
When I first started reading your post I thought maybe you'd got taken in by some excavator trying to unload caliche on to a rookie. But the stuff you got is plenty good and it looks like you've done fine with it.

I'm also a rock nut. And I also live in Tejas clay. And when I die, don't bury me.......put my ashes in with the chickens.

I was looking at a big pile of white rock here in Parker, Texas. It was out in the pasture and the guy had to work around it. I asked him why in the heck any fool would have that stuff out there in his way.

He explained he was paid good money to take it. And the beauty of it is he won't have to keep it long. You see it's a soft limestone. So in the winter when it gets wet it soaks in the moisture, then freezes. The freezing causes fractures and it breaks into smaller pieces. The cycle continues and he figures he only has to work around it for about five years and then he'll smooth it out over the pasture with a box blade and that will be that.

I got to spend some quality time in a flagstone quarry just out of Ashfork Arizona a couple of years ago. I brought home about two tons of mined stone and moss rock. God, that stuff is fine.

If you want to have some fun with your rock and you have some time on your hands you can do like I've done to some of mine. I've used a masonary hole saw in my Hilti hammer drill to drill holes for planting plants. Moss roses don't require much soil and man they sure pretty up the neighborhood, even if it's a rocky one.

/ Who else likes rocks? #20  
Always did like Rock Art. I can already hear the Archaeologists in 2102 A.D. speculating about the "North Texas Stonehenge" and how all those rocks got to someplace that doesn't have any native rock. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Nice work!