Who Gets to Own The West?

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #51  
I think Jstpssng needs to file claim on a homestead up in Alaska. I hear there are tract still available about 200 miles NW of Fairbanks. It would be north of the Yukon River and on the south slopes of the Brooks Range. Your nearest neighbor would probably be 100 or so miles away. You could walk in any direction for a week - never see another person - do whatever you wanted - nobody would give a dam.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #52  
I don't want people on my measly 95 acres; walking, driving, hunting or using it to get across to other land. It's mine, I paid for it, and that is that...

Yep Wolfman, I have been having a real problem as of late here . . . d@mn deer trespassing on my land! :D

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #53  
Yep Wolfman, I have been having a real problem as of late here . . . d@mn deer trespassing on my land! :D

See, that is one of the reasons I don't want other people on my land. We "share" the land with God's other creatures and it's my way of keeping it safe for all of us.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #54  
So it sounds like you are OK with the government owning some land, but you take issue with the quantity of land owned by the government?

I apologize if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but who is "we", and how have you "worked" the land for 200 years? You can work land that doesn't belong to you?
we have worked in it, i.e. jobs. The timber industry is what supported this state for 200+ years.

Do you also take issue with rich people or corporations buying large quantities of land? Should there be a maximum acreage per individual?
No, what I take exception to is them buying it with the intention of giving it to the government, or in many cases buying it, selling "conservation easements" some or all of it with taxpayers money; then claiming that they are "doing it for the people." Before you do something for me, at least ask if it's something that I want.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #55  
See, that is one of the reasons I don't want other people on my land. We "share" the land with God's other creatures and it's my way of keeping it safe for all of us.

:thumbsup: . . . . and I am not a fan of deer anyway, now elk . . . . .:licking:

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #56  
:thumbsup: . . . . and I am not a fan of deer anyway, now elk . . . . .:licking:

Agreement there. Venison is mediocre meat, but elk is one of the best tasting meats on the planet. I don't much care for moose either.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #58  
If venison is properly cared from the instant the animal is killed and aged correctly there is very little difference between it and beef...it is leaner and just a little sweeter but in many prepared dishes most people would not know it from beef...

For the most part...harvested venison is often difficult to care for properly because of simple logistics...but there can be a huge difference in the quality of the meat between a carcase that is immediately field dressed and allowed for the cooling process to begin...and one that is not...

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #59  
For the twenty years we lived in Alaska - moose was our major meat supply. As /pine indicates - properly handled wild game can be excellent. Any idiot can ruin any type meat with improper handling.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #60  
Yeah, I don't care much for Venison either. Give me Angus beef any day... 2 1/2 thick cowboy cut Ribeye... :drink:

Angus is the only beef I raise . . . but if I remember correctly, you like it burnt . . . :laughing: . . . and yep ribeye is my favorite.

Larry C. . . . usually get one elk a year. :drink: