Who Gets to Own The West?

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #41  
^^^^^
Hence one of my other comments... the government shouldn't be in the business of owning land. We are going to start seeing that here, all that they need is another 32,000 acres and they can bring in wolves, along with all of the restrictions which come with "endangered species."

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #42  
"The government should not be in the land business". With that comment in mind, you would not be pleased with the situation in Alaska.

Alaska is 375 million acres. The Feds control/own - 222 million. The State controls/owns - 105 million. The Alaska Native corporations control/own - 45 million. That totals - 372 million acres.

Private land ownership in Alaska is less than 3 million acres or less than 1% of the total land.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #43  
^^^
One reason that I don't live in Alaska.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #44  
^^^^^
Hence one of my other comments... the government shouldn't be in the business of owning land. ...
I don’t understand what you are trying to say. Would you have Yellowstone National Park sold to the highest private bidder?

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #45  
There's a lot of places which aren't Yellowstone. I live in a state which until recently, had very little Federal presence. Now people want to create a 3.2 million acre "park" of the land which we have worked in for 200 years... and outsiders like Apple, Amazon, and other big corporations are starting to buy up the land to do it.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #46  
Shenandoah national park was created by kicking all the land owners out.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #47  
Shenandoah national park was created by kicking all the land owners out.
The Appalachian Trail was first established as a cooperative trail by trail members across privately owned lands. Then they decided they needed a 500 foot corrider, first purchasing from willing buyers then using the blunt force of the US government to finish it. Now they want a mile wide corrider, because "people can see openings while walking the trail."

As I mentioned previously, there are other factions who want to create a huge park in the region where I and many others have hunted, fished, trapped and worked for generations claiming they want to "Save it." Save it from what? We have been good stewards of the land, trees here are a sustainable resource and while not as predominant as it once was, the timber industry still provides 35,000 jobs... and as we learn to grow with the times can support another generation if they will let us.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #48  
There's a lot of places which aren't Yellowstone. I live in a state which until recently, had very little Federal presence.
So it sounds like you are OK with the government owning some land, but you take issue with the quantity of land owned by the government?

Now people want to create a 3.2 million acre "park" of the land which we have worked in for 200 years...
I apologize if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but who is "we", and how have you "worked" the land for 200 years? You can work land that doesn't belong to you?

and outsiders like Apple, Amazon, and other big corporations are starting to buy up the land to do it.
Do you also take issue with rich people or corporations buying large quantities of land? Should there be a maximum acreage per individual?

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #49  
In many ways government ownership of land is a good thing. I keeps land free from development and exploitation. Again - Alaska is a fantastic example.

If you have the desire and means - Alaska offers millions and millions of acres of undeveloped land to explore.

Just bring plenty of bug repellent and a box of feelthy cigars.

/ Who Gets to Own The West? #50  
^^^^^
Hence one of my other comments... the government shouldn't be in the business of owning land.

And if one reads the ole dusty document (The Constitution), you'll find the only land the feds ARE authorized to own is 10 square miles for a capitol and such land needed for forts and arsenals (with the consent of the State where located). Like so much of what the federal govt has done, they have simply DONE with no clear power to have done so.

Historically, one could understand when vast tracts of land came into the US as territories without enough population to settle them, some rules might have to be applied for governance, BUT at some point it gets back to what the federal govt is authorized by the Constitution to do.....and owning land isn't one of their powers. IMHO, all federal land outside that they are given the power to own should be returned to the States formed from the former territories and let the people in each State decide what they wish to do with that land.