Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC)

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #11  
Just an observation. If it can be documented that the damage is due to a lightening strike, it is probably covered under your homeowner's policy. I would file a claim if there was significant damage.

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #12  
Just an observation. If it can be documented that the damage is due to a lightening strike, it is probably covered under your homeowner's policy. I would file a claim if there was significant damage.

With today's increased out of pocket costs, before the insurance company ever spends a dime, that may not be the best bet. Depends on how your policy is written and how much is the deductible. Can it be done, yes... is it always a good idea on a unit that it "at it's end of life cycle?"... probably not. Might save the O/P some out of pocket money at this time, but may cost him more in the future.

David from jax
David from jax

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #13  
David, the a/c unit is considered part of the house and would normally be covered for full replacement cost less the amount of your homeowner deductible.
Now if you carry a 1000 or 2500 dollar deductible, the compensation by insurance may be very small. If only claim in long time and at least a net payment of 500 bucks,
then for lightning damage, which is not considered owner negligence usually at all, then I'd put the claim in. (many years as Travelers underwriter and independent agent, now happily retired)

I have three Trane units, two gaspacks and one heat pump for my second floor. All thankfully replaced before I bought home, though I replaced the combustion chambers on both gaspacks simply because they were 25 years old. Lot of hardware, and so far two trips to replace Trane capacitors. Does Trane have some issue with those more than normal?

Lennox. ok, I always thought Trane was a top brand, not mentioned here. I also like the comment about importance of good install.
What about SEER? New one for OP might be much more efficient and make the replacement issue easier.
Top of the line variable speed unit from ten years ago might be worth fixing for sure.

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #15  
Alot of good ones with not a lot of difference between them has been my observation.

Many of these companies arent in the business of MFG compressors, fan and fan motors, condensers and compressors, etc.

They are simply assemblers.

Take the covers and stickers off the units and look under the hood. Same brand fan motor, same cotactors, copeland compressor, etc. The biggest difference is the covers and stickers.

That said, I too question a total system replacement. But there are a few justifiable reasons why one may consider to do so.
1. If you are still running old r22 refrigerant. The stuff sized (surface area and pressure ratings) usually isnt compatible with newer 410 units. So....if you were old refrigerant....your contractor has a valid reason for "suggesting" a whole new unit.

2. IF your pump suffered a mechanical failure. That could have sent debris through out the whole system, that is hard to assure 100% is removed when flushing the system and installing a new compressor. And you could end up spending alot of money on a new compressor that will fail in short order.

#2 dont sound like the case if just a shorted winding in the motor. But who knows. Did the pump mechanically lock up causing the short????

IF you current system is already modern 410 refrigerant and you can be confident that it wasnt a mechanical failure of the pump.....I'd just replace the pump.

Old refrigerant and/or mechanical failure of pump....Id seriously consider total system replacement as a viable option

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #16  
I would start by verifying that the compressor is indeed bad. I've seen too many techs that condemn a unit for the same reason, only to find that the compressor is OK and another issue kept it from running. Check each terminal at the compressor, with all wires removed, to ground with a ohmmeter and also from each terminal to each other. A lightning strike often burns up the capacitor, but leaves the compressor undamaged. $25 or $2500...your choice :2cents:

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC)
I would start by verifying that the compressor is indeed bad. I've seen too many techs that condemn a unit for the same reason, only to find that the compressor is OK and another issue kept it from running. Check each terminal at the compressor, with all wires removed, to ground with a ohmmeter and also from each terminal to each other. A lightning strike often burns up the capacitor, but leaves the compressor undamaged. $25 or $2500...your choice :2cents:

He did ohm check at compressor terminals. Two out of 3 were grounded to case.

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #19  
Nordyne makes a unit. It comes with what ever decal you want to put on it. Frigidaire, Gibson, etc,.

Even Trane Which (I use to sell as my top of the line unit) is using copeland compressors instead of building their own.
Don't let anyone talk you into buying a micro channel system !

/ Who makes best heat pumps (HVAC) #20  
I have had Lennox high efficiency which was efficient! Now I have Trane with electric furnace/AC/heat pump and I really like it also extremely efficient system. Not one issue in 10years. And I should be knocking on wood now. The last time I mentioned here I had nary an issue, was with my F150, I ended up replacing the engine.