Who wears seat belts

/ Who wears seat belts #21  
I only have one machine that even has a seatbelt. And since I have taken the rops off of that machine, no I dont wear my belt. It is also the only machine with a seat safety switch. Which has also been bypassed. When on an 6 or 8 hour mowing job, sometimes I like to stand up. Weather its just to stretch, or get better visibility of something.....

/ Who wears seat belts #22  
I had an experience with OSHA showing up on a jobsite where I was operating a backhoe attachment to a bobcat. The seat to the attachment didn't come with a seatbelt from the factory. However, the safety inspector insisted I have an aftermarket seatbelt installed on the backhoe attachment!

If it comes with a seatbelt, wear it. In the unfortunate event if something WERE to occur, I wouldn't want my life insurance company to have anything to point to.

/ Who wears seat belts #23  
"If the ROPS is up the seatbelt should be on, if the ROPS is down seatbelt should off", is what I've always been told.
BTW, that's what my Operator's Manual states also. I put my seatbelt on automatically before I start my Tractor, just like I do before starting my Truck. This works for me.

/ Who wears seat belts #24  
When I am just grading the road or doing light duty work, I dont wear it. When I get in the back area and doing loader work or yanking logs around and what not, I wear it.

/ Who wears seat belts #25  
I live in a hilly area, always wear mine. That said, I can never get off my tractor without my shorts, shirt or jacket catching the shifter control on one side or the throttle/3 pt controls on the other. If I ever tried to jump during a roll, I know one of those knobs would suck me back under the tractor and then it's time to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal is another matter...

I used to think seat belts on a slow moving tractor wern't necessary . Then a neighbor I have known for 50+ years borrowed my tractor to level some gravel on driveway.Pulling a box blade and turning right don't know why but drove up onto a log about 18" round. he was found under the tractor with steering wheel on neck. no chance of saving his life.
Sad day in my life.
Then last year mowing along side of drive way with riding lawn mower. missed a area about 8" wide stopped backed up to mow engaged the blades and was under the mower 5 feet lower in ditch with engine trying to run had to lift the mower off chest so safety switch could shut down engine. then lift the close to 350 pounds off of legs so could get out from under
trying to turn over the so get rid of the weight and with gas from the tank pouring fuel on face and mower caused the height lever to jab into the ribs and do more damage to my pride than thought necessary.wife finally realize the mower had quit and could not see me came to help lift off of me.
another bad day in trying to explain why it rolled into ditch.

All this short few seconds under mower had formed plan on adding roll bar to the mower. and use seat belts.
But then still have not came to proper idea of the method to put together. It only takes a second between going good to knowing this isn't a good posistion to be in.
ken

/ Who wears seat belts #27  
I always wear mine as the tractor has ROP bars..... A family member was killed years back on a tractor. Had he had a belt and ROP I am convinced he would have walked away without a scratch. A neighbor was also killed in a different tractor accident which could have had a similar outcome. I could be paranoid but my tractor does not move without safety equipment working.

Robert

/ Who wears seat belts #28  
I wear mine I am to old to jump beside the jump would more than likely hurt more than the role.. :),,Lou

/ Who wears seat belts #29  
I have only been a member of TBN for less than two years. But I recall at least two Threads regarding these safety issues in the past, where the debate became somewhat fervent in the threads. The members that advocated utilizing a seatbelt were ridiculed and nicknamed the "Safety Police" by certain members. In other posts on other threads, if a member, even remotely suggested, that it wasn't safe to operate a lawnmower with a very young child riding on your lap, many members reacted with elevated hostility. Everone should be entitled to their own opinion and practices, but an accident can happen in the Blink of an Eye or a Split Second. Thanks for listening.

Last edited: