Whole home generator help, existing system in home I bought

/ Whole home generator help, existing system in home I bought #21  
I purchased the home in Dec 31st (closed on it and got the keys). The previous owners were a married couple that got a divorce. Whatever happened, she got everything, he was gone from the picture. He was the one who knew how this all worked, unfortunately, we never met him or got to pick his brain....
Sounds like our house... Between me, various friends and the HVAC guy we have figured most of it out over the last year and a half.

I had a separate thread where I was discussing some energy usage questions, during that issue, we actually had the utility company come out and check the house and hook up a line recorder due to some high voltage issues. I had the utility worker look at the setup and he suggested a transfer switch, but didn't really comment more than that or say it was faulty, dangerous, illegal as installed, etc. I take safety deadly serious and that is why I posed the question on here, I will not take the risk of having a system back feed into the grid and potentially cause harm. And from a financial aspect, that would suck too to lose a generator worth a couple thousand bucks. I would like to test the systems out, but am obviously wanting to approach that step slowly rather than flip breaker, power up and see what happens. I will post pics of the electric panels, but it seems to be the best thing to do would have an electrician who installs back up genny systems to come out and take a look and make his suggestions. A couple hundred bucks for that expertise it will cost me isn't worth the potential risk and liability of not verifying it is GTG.
Sounds like a good plan.

Aaron Z

/ Whole home generator help, existing system in home I bought #22  
Flip off the main breaker to disconnect from the grid first.

Flip off the breakers for everything you don't need to power.

Start the generator.

Flip the 50 amp generator breaker to on.

Enjoy your generator

Ditto. This is how I'll do mine if I ever get to it. Our power is never off very long, so I haven't bothered.

I would also trace out every breaker, outlet and switch in the house and map it out, and label them with circuit numbers, etc...

/ Whole home generator help, existing system in home I bought #23  
Just to mention that if you ever manage to tickle a lineman with a jury rigged setup like this, the power company will turn off your power permanently, and they won't ever turn it back on. The only way you will get power back is by installing a complete new electrical service to modern codes, which often will mean ripping up walls in your house to rewire it. For sure you will have to replace all your breakers, and perhaps the panels too.