Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter?

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #51  
🤙

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #52  
I have a rhino ts10 pulled with a 4066R and now a 4075R. Used it 3 seasons so far with 0 issues.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #53  
I have a rhino ts10 pulled with a 4066R and now a 4075R. Used it 3 seasons so far with 0 issues.
Looks like the size i need.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #54  
Works for me

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_135005732.jpg
    IMG_20190914_135005732.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190914_135153992.jpg
    IMG_20190914_135153992.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190914_135210560.jpg
    IMG_20190914_135210560.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
   / Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #55  
My only complaint would be that the wings throw the cut material to the inside, which makes a window. It is my understanding that our government requires this so if you are mowing alongside the road, it won't throw material out towards the road. I tried to pull the bowtie (stump jumpers) off to switch the gear boxes on the wings. Could not get them off without heat from a rosebud. I did not want to mess up the seals so I stopped. If your dealer can do this great. My dealer ran an extra hose so I can lift the wings separately from the main body. Thanks John

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #56  
I’d like to try one of those Rhino Ts10 to see how it does with my TC45DA.

It pulls my Wood C114 mower good unless I let the pastures get out of control and then I have to go slower.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #57  
My rhino TS10 actually starts up easy compared to my land pride 2572 cutter. Keep in mind that the tongue weight is 720 pounds and mower weight of 2200 pounds. So mowing on steep hills or uneven terrain could be difficult. My 4066R had 52 PTO horsepower and it would mow hood high material with no problem.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #58  
This is a good thread. I've been circling the rabbit hole for a while and could really use a 12' flex wing or batwing. I've looked at the TS10 and they're incredibly expensive these days i.e. $20k or more. I'm hoping to find something on the used market but no luck so far.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #59  
So true, I gave 9,600 dollars for my TS10 three years ago. So if I have any heavy clearing to do I use the land pride 2572. It has tackled many trees from 1" to 3" many times, but usually one at a time. Repairs on it would be much cheaper than a batwing. But so far it has been flawless.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #60  
That's basically what I'm running now.

The patent for that BH2212 is expired, and Modern Ag has copied it. The photo is in the first post of this thread.
Basically, Modern Ag copied the design and deck because they have a design engineer who used to work for BH designing the Modern Ag cutters now.

I have a love/hate relationship with their cutters. While the design is great, and I love the galvanized decks on the cutters, the key parts like the gear boxes and hydraulic cylinders are Chinese, and prone to fail often. Just paid to get another wing cylinder replaced because the arms are not stainless steel, but chrome plated, and prone to rust and abrade the seals in the cylinder. That's the 3rd hydraulic cylinder on that wing in 3 years...

The Modern ag stuff I have reminds me of Mahindra tractors I've owned. You love them until the weak link in the chain breaks, and causes you all sorts of trouble.

That's really a shame, because if you quit cutting corners, you'd have a very reliable, bullet proof product.

Profit over quality is the norm these days.

Almost all the gearboxes are made in China. I was looking at 20 footers last summer and every gearbox on every brand was made in China. Rhino, Bush Hog, Deere all Chinese.

Another thing you guys need to realize is the shock those mowers put on the smaller PTO boxes will wear out your clutches (or worse) if you use them frequently in larger 2” dia. junk.
You’d be surprised how small the clutches are in your PTO housing. I did a LOT of bush hogging with a 125HP Kubota and the clutches were done after 2500 hours. And yes, I throttled down slowly before turning off and went slowly & carefully into heavy brush.

Last edited: