Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter?

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter?
I have a 2810 bush hog. It has no problem cutting grass and saplings eye level with me in the cab of my m5-111.
Yeah, Woods makes a single wing HD cutter as well.

For what I do, I really need 2 wings, with a total cut of 12'

@rockinbbar find you a Bush Hog 2212 Beefiest 12ft you’ll find

That's basically what I'm running now.

The patent for that BH2212 is expired, and Modern Ag has copied it. The photo is in the first post of this thread.
Basically, Modern Ag copied the design and deck because they have a design engineer who used to work for BH designing the Modern Ag cutters now.

I have a love/hate relationship with their cutters. While the design is great, and I love the galvanized decks on the cutters, the key parts like the gear boxes and hydraulic cylinders are Chinese, and prone to fail often. Just paid to get another wing cylinder replaced because the arms are not stainless steel, but chrome plated, and prone to rust and abrade the seals in the cylinder. That's the 3rd hydraulic cylinder on that wing in 3 years...

The Modern ag stuff I have reminds me of Mahindra tractors I've owned. You love them until the weak link in the chain breaks, and causes you all sorts of trouble.

That's really a shame, because if you quit cutting corners, you'd have a very reliable, bullet proof product.

Profit over quality is the norm these days.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #43  
Yeah, Woods makes a single wing HD cutter as well.

For what I do, I really need 2 wings, with a total cut of 12'
If a 10 is too small and 15 too big, it sounds like you're stuck with what you have.

I looked at all the 12 footers out there and decided they were too flimsy. I should have got a 15 and disconnected one drive shaft. Sometimes a 15 would be nice, but that's rare for me.

If a 10 is too small and 15 too big, it sounds like you're stuck with what you have.

I looked at all the 12 footers out there and decided they were too flimsy. I should have got a 15 and disconnected one drive shaft. Sometimes a 15 would be nice, but that's rare for me.

Yeah, I think a 10 would be too flimsy too.

I have a very nice Woods 15' XHD cutter that has impressed me. (Ran it hard over last 10 years through some stuff I probably shouldn't have..) But some of the 15' cutters are flimsy too.

Really, I'm thinking they are making these flimsy cutters for 40-50hp tractors. Probably lots more of those lower HP tractors sold than 65-75HP tractors, thus the market is lucrative for them when they cater to more sales.

But these cutters that designed to be run with a 40hp tractor ARE the market in the batwing cutter sales now. Can't help but feel if they beefed the drive lines and gear boxes up and targeted the utility tractor market of 60-75hp, they would sell tons of them. Not everyone is a 5 acre tract weekend warrior. ;)

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #45  
How much mowing are you doing?

You could look at Toro or Jacobson mowers. My old Toro Groundsmaster is listed at 127" mowing width, but there may be bigger models. I wish it had full hydraulic motors on the wings instead of PTO driven belts. Perhaps a future modification.

The Woods BW12 is by far the worst cutter I ever used. Once it gets a bit of use and gets dirty, the wings won't go up or down due to the extremely tight wing hinge pin, and no way to lube it. When you can't use the wings, it kinda does away with the need for a batwing, right? Sold that cutter for half of what I paid for it, just to be rid of it.
Perhaps a little late now, but I'd work with the manufacturer on design/quality issues. I have few products that are still under warranty, but I'd consider that to be a warranty issue.

Is there any place that you could have installed a grease zerk? Hollow out the pin and put the zerk in the pin? Drill the hinge barrels or knuckles to install a zerk in a place it would be protected?

Talk to the manufacturer about your current mower issues too.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #46  
That's basically what I'm running now.

The patent for that BH2212 is expired, and Modern Ag has copied it. The photo is in the first post of this thread.
Basically, Modern Ag copied the design and deck because they have a design engineer who used to work for BH designing the Modern Ag cutters now.

I have a love/hate relationship with their cutters. While the design is great, and I love the galvanized decks on the cutters, the key parts like the gear boxes and hydraulic cylinders are Chinese, and prone to fail often. Just paid to get another wing cylinder replaced because the arms are not stainless steel, but chrome plated, and prone to rust and abrade the seals in the cylinder. That's the 3rd hydraulic cylinder on that wing in 3 years...

The Modern ag stuff I have reminds me of Mahindra tractors I've owned. You love them until the weak link in the chain breaks, and causes you all sorts of trouble.

That's really a shame, because if you quit cutting corners, you'd have a very reliable, bullet proof product.

Profit over quality is the norm these days.
Yea I’m out on Modern Ag

How much mowing are you doing?

You could look at Toro or Jacobson mowers. My old Toro Groundsmaster is listed at 127" mowing width, but there may be bigger models. I wish it had full hydraulic motors on the wings instead of PTO driven belts. Perhaps a future modification.

Perhaps a little late now, but I'd work with the manufacturer on design/quality issues. I have few products that are still under warranty, but I'd consider that to be a warranty issue.

Is there any place that you could have installed a grease zerk? Hollow out the pin and put the zerk in the pin? Drill the hinge barrels or knuckles to install a zerk in a place it would be protected?

Talk to the manufacturer about your current mower issues too.
I do several hundred hours cutting a year with a 12 cutter. It is in pastures with weeds and tall grass, and while most is flat, it can get rough with feral hog damage, gopher mounds that are 8' across and 2 foot high, and just general pasture conditions. Doubt any sort of ride on mower would last long.

Yeah, the Woods BW12 models were problematic with the wings. My dealer fixed several issues, but it was still problematic to the point I sold it while still under warranty for half of what I paid for it... just to be rid of it. It did give a fantastic cut though, as most Woods cutters do.

I've already been dealing with manufacturer directly on the Modern Ag cutter. I have his cell number.

This cutter has about 750 hours on it. No bad areas with over spec growth cut at all. In fact, it just sees weeds and grass with an occasional small brushy type here and there.

Just got that cutter back from the shop with a $2000 repair bill. It was lots more, but some was covered under warranty thanks to still being under warranty and my service manager. It's a good cutter, but with a bit of higher quality parts in the gearbox and hydraulic cylinder department, it would be much better.

Had that cutter for 3 years, and have replaced 3 hydraulic wing cylinders because they rust and blow the seals from abrasion of the rust, had the splitter gearbox replaced under warranty because when I went to lower the wings, the shaft pulled out on one side of the splitter and oil ran out on the deck, one wing gear box just replaced because seals on bottom don't last great, replaced several wheel bearings, and as soon as I got it, did away with the laminated tires for foam filled aircraft tires, and the vent caps blow gear oil out because the direction the gears are spinning on the Viper model I have forces the oil out that vent hole onto the deck, Just replaced a stump jumper because the bolts that hold the gear box on the wing stretched and allowed excessive vibration and the jumper couldn't be trusted with weak splines.

I have been in contact with the designer at the manufacturer over everything, and he understands the issues. I fixed the oil shooting out the vent caps by doing away with the traditional gear oil and replacing it with corn head grease. That stuff won't jump out a small hole... and should help with the bottom seal issues too, somewhat.

Last edited:
   / Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #48  
We, mostly Dad, mows over 100 acres on the farm with the L5030 and my old 5 ft cutter. He didn't want to buy a bigger one. takes a long time. Really need a bigger tractor and larger mower.

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #49  
Buy a good fifteen footer used and modify for your needs winter project

/ Why Can't Someone Make a Good 12' Batwing Cutter? #50  
Buy a good fifteen footer used and modify for your needs winter project

Been trying to do that....none in my area (northern Nevada) at all. Closest about 800 miles away!

Thought about ordering a new one but the price is more than I can justify.