Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #31  
Depends if they want a 3 cylinder turbo intercooled, turbo four cylinder or a natural 5 cylinder to make the same torque and power.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #32  
There is over 20 base configurations for just the 5030 engine. Like others have posted tractors is not the only use for these powerplants, you will find these engines in countless other applications regardless of how few tractors it is used in.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?
Depends if they want a 3 cylinder turbo intercooled, turbo four cylinder or a natural 5 cylinder to make the same torque and power.

And just how does that enter into the number of models with a 5 cyl offered by JD? I'm curious which JD tractor models have a 3 cyl intercooled engine?

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #34  
Jim, I was under the impression you had some dealership experience and was one of the go to guys for this kind of question.

I was employed by a JD dealership from '66-'87. That was long before a 5 cyl tractor engine was created. I've been a farmer,cattleman & custom baled hay since leaving dealership.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #36  
ok, makes sense.

The reason I started this thread is I thought it was unique that tractor manufacturers utilize the 5 cyl engine in only a limited number of models. I know this is true with both JD & Kubota. I bought a used 2000 model Kubota several years ago and ran it for several hours before I ever realized it had a 5 cyl engine

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #38  
Jim,
I've been following this thread and I don't know the answer to your question. I think only mother Deere knows the real answer, but I think their reasons are driven by emissions. When the 2.4 and 3.0 engines came out, they burned cleaner than any of deere's other engines. I think the individual unit pumps had alot to do with this. Apparently the models of this horsepower range had difficulty meeting emissions with the "older " style engines. The 2.4 and 3.0 could meet emissions without any fancy electronic controls. Now with full tier 4 emissions looming, I think we will see deere moving away from these two engines. The skid steer models soon to be released are going away from these engines and going to Yanmar... Emissions standards are driving many of these decisions.

jd110
buickanddeere mentioned a 3 cyl inter-cooled engine. Do you know if JD built that particular engine? I briefly searched but couldn't find a tractor model with one.
Thanks,Jim

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #40  
I don't know why they put the 5 cyl. in there but my wife and son sure brag on the fuel economy of their 5065M. Lately they've been pulling the CaseIH 1250 Grinder-Mixer with it and they were telling me so far they haven't been able to really pull the tractor down to where they needed to let up on it. They're grinding Oats, ear Corn and 15% protein pellets. I think it has close 90 hours on it now. I read the entire thread and I believe someone mentioned that the engine was possibly made in Australia, it's made in Mexico, tag says so right on the block.