Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor?

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #1  

BillyP

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4610 ehydro MFWD
Why did you buy \'that\' brand of tractor?

I thought this might be fun. To see the different reasons people wind up with the brand they do. Since I started it, I'll go first.

In 1999 I bought a poultry farm. Soon after, I found out I REALLY needed a tractor. I looked around for a used one but never found one I'd want to spend my money on. All my neighbors told me to go Deere. One neighbor has two big Deeres that he uses on a 1,000 acre ranch. The other two neighbors are small timers.

I bought a 4600 2WD with collar shift. Three years (and 400 hours) later, plus a little wiser (maybe), I bought a 4610 eHydro MFWD and FEL.

I do want to add, I'm not promoting JD. It's just my story. Please, no flaming. There's enough of that already.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #2  
Re: Why did you buy \'that\' brand of tractor?

Well.. My buddy runs an all Deere Landscaping business from a pair of 45XX CUTs down to Zturns and rotarys. He really bestowed the merits of Deere and had me convinced. I went to his dealer and they treated me like a homeless guy off the street. They wouldn't even take a walk out to show me the units !! I went to another Deere dealer...excellent customer service, but nothing on the lot. He said he was waiting for another order. On my return trip home, I happened by a NH dealer, went in, drove a TC35D and bought it !! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #3  

I started with a used Massey Ferguson 2wd from the early 1980's. It had a lot of problems until its last day...One day while seeding a landfill job that was behind schdule the front tire blew out. That was the final straw, I threw it on my trailer and drove it to the NEARBY deere dealer and loaded up the only tractor on his lot, a 4x4 1070 w/ Ag tires. The dealer was very helpful and got me on my way quickly to boot. I still have this tractor and have had it for about 10 years. No problems what so ever. I guess I chose deere because it was close and I own deere industrial equipment and it is a great product. Now I'm waiting on delivery of a new 4310, but I will still keep the 1070 as long as I can.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #4  

I chose Jd because of the comfort of the operators area. I especially like the joystick FEL control. I like the connection to my grand dads farm and the past even though I know its not the same as the old stuff made in the USA. Dave

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #5  

I started out in town with a ¼ acre lot. The Craftsman rider was a little over kill, but I had fun. Then we moved out here to 2 acres. I tried mowing with the Craftsman and was busy most of the weekend. Did a lot of research and felt that with the money I had available, A 2WD Yanmar was my best bet. It was, at that time.
Then things started creeping up that needed done and the neighbor sold her 231 Massey that I borrowed a few times. I had my 2WD tractor stuck so many times and needed a FEL and wanted a Hydro. Not too good for the little Yannie.
I looked at every color and size imaginable. The Kubota dealers did not impress me and they had nothing in stock. Kioti was in the running but none in stock and no anticipated delivery date. Drove Mahindra, Jimna. Checked green, 2210 too small for me. 790 was gear, I wanted Hydro. 4000 series I was not comfortable on. 4100 series too much money. Went to the only blue dealer in town, knowing they are high and won't deal. Drove a TC18, TC21 gear(a year old, but new), TC29, but no TC24's in stock. Decided the TC18 was about right and made a deal in 2 days of haggling.
Now I am the proud owner of a nice pretty blue TC18 with 12LA loader and 914A Rear Discharge MMM 44 hours.
Well it was pretty, it's dirty blue right now.
I'm hoping this is my last tractor purchase(naive me) so I went with the one that fit me best, fit my needs best and from a great dealer.

Jerry

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #6  

I bought my JD 755 in 1988 because it was the best designed hydrastatic CUT at the time. I had no brand preference when I started looking. In fact, I probably would have shied away from JD because of their higher prices. I looked at every brand that was out there at the time. Ford, Kabota, Case Massey, John Deere, etc. I attended farm shows and basically stopped at every dealer in the area. Do not recall any "grey" market tractors available in my area back then. At the time, the JD was the ONLY tractor that was designed as a hydro. All of the others were converted gear tractors which meant that things like the differential lock lever was on the same side as the hydro pedals, so essentially useless. I was also impressed by the design of the MMM and FEL for true easy on and off. The others were not thought out as well.

Jeff

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #7  

When we bought our farm in Maine I began looking at CUTs even though we didn't plan to move there for four years. I looked at the specs for a number of makes and models and decided which specs were important to me. I built a spreadsheet with JD, NH, Kioti, Cub, and Kubota and added every model between 20 and 40 HP. Cub Cadet 7360 won on every spec... wheelbase, width, 3pt lift capacity and weight. The local Cub dealer could hardly be bothered to give me a price. So I spent 6 months looking on the net and found a very slightly used one at a JD dealer in Alabama. Even with shipping to New Hampshire, I beat the dealers price by $6K. Never regretted the choice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #8  

It was the only one I could afford /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In the spring of 2000, I wanted to replace a Ingersoll 448 that was showing its age. I knew that I needed a top-line garden tractor, but I really wanted a CUT. I looked at the Ingersolls and really liked the JD 425/445/455 tractors, but was hesitant about spending the $10-12,000 that a tractor, 60"MMM, angle snow plow, chains, and weights would cost.. I really liked the Kubota 7500 and the JD 4100, but those tractors broke the bank.
Then the BX tractors arrived. For less than the cost of the garden tractor packages, I got a tractor, MMM, and a back blade. There was nothing out there like it then, so I ended up a Kubota owner /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Will

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #9  

It was 1995. Our 20th wedding anniversary was a month away and I was getting desperate for a unique gift. About two years earlier my wife’s grandmother had sold the estates last tractor, a 1947 Farmall A, to a neighbor that I had recommended. His plans were to restore the tractor, put on a belly mower, and buy a small farm. We had just bought our farm and I caught him at the right time, before he found a farm. He saw the nostalgia in the gift and he sold me the tractor. She loved the gift. Still married and tractoring. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif txdon

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #10  

I bought a Mahindra for 3 simple reasons:
First class dealer commited to service.
I really liked the piece compared to the others I tried.
Tremendous bang for the buck.