Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm?

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #31  
I think people feel the need to do SOMETHING before a major storm. Bread & milk is easy - - what would you want them to stock up on - - bottled water & toilet paper.

Johnny Walker Red, Chevis, Absolut, Heineken's, Bud Lite and caffein free Coke.

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #32  
So that's why those guys back in the "snow belt" never complain. That's why I'm ranting so much this year - - no snow, storm or otherwise.

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #33  
May question would be why they wait until the last min?

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #34  
diapers are usually #4 on the list...followed by condoms...!

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #36  
People often go out because they were planning to and the storm interferes, so they go before the storm. But I have to admit that my wife bought a gallon of bottled water in case the power went out. I asked her why- reminding her that we could have filled a jug from the tap (well water). She said it was because it was easier!

I always have to remember to have gas and diesel on hand. Nothing worse than making a trip to get it during a storm or after the snow is a foot deep. But I always say that after every storm!

- Storms used to be more serious when we moved up here -when 15-25 below was more common. Every few winters it wasn't so unusual for someone to perish getting stuck outside for different reasons. -Usually older people. Stocking up was a smart thing to do.
Cars today also run much better. The front wheel drive car is harder to get stuck than the old rear wheel drive cars. -People with 4wd pickups always carry a tow strap and expect to pull anybody out of the snowy ditch when they see somebody. That's a good thing with the rural area we live in - with few service stations offering towing. Besides- it is a major hit on the wallet to have a tow truck tow you out.

I've been towed a few times- usually within 5 minutes of going off the road when I used to drive my nissan. And I've towed people.

Last edited:
   / Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #37  
People with 4wd pickups always carry a tow strap and expect to pull anybody out of the snowy ditch when they see somebody. That's a good thing with the rural area we live in - with few service stations offering towing. Besides- it is a major hit on the wallet to have a tow truck tow you out.
In the area around Sunapee, most of the vehicles I see stuck are 4WD pickups with crummy tires. Last season, though, an oil truck got stuck. A pickup from the oil company got stuck trying to pull him out, My wife got stuck pulling off the road to let the pickup by. Then a car came the other way and got stuck. It got to be quite a party. The oil company had already dispatched a wrecker: he snatched everyone right out so they weren't there long. One reason we put a tow hitch on her minivan was for "extraction." :laughing: We keep a tow strap and tree strap in all our vehicles.

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #38  
Apparently needs are slightly different during a hurricane. According to this Hurricanes, Pop-Tarts, And Beer--8/23/2005 site while beer is still a prerequisite, strawberry pop tarts are #2.
This was the answer to the nightly trivia question on the radio a couple years ago... My first thought was "They still make those?"

I keep enough food on hand so that I could comfortably go 2 weeks... And still have enough to survive for two more.

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #39  
I carry enough to survive for two weeks without food. Gotta work out more, get it down to 4 days....

/ Why do people always stock up on bread and milk before a snowstorm? #40  
Well we just happen to need to go to the grocery store yesterday and actually needed bread and milk. We used the last 4 slices of bread at lunch time and I was almost out of my Almond milk. Is that a good enough excuse?