Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor?

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #41  
Nice rig. I've worked for a dealer and seen other dealers that didn't have that FANCY of a service vehicle.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #42  
Sorry. Yes I can be quite harsh. Just irks me. Part of the problem with humanity, is that they often cannot see things from anyone elses perspective. Humans can be quite selfish and self absorbed. Many only see what they do as being worth someone paying for. Many (educated) ones think only those that have education are worthy of big bucks.

Maybe, he should just fix the tire himself next time. Not saying, that we can't complain or be unhappy about the price of things, but we shouldn't judge the value of anothers service without knowing all the details.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #43  
Nice rig. I've worked for a dealer and seen other dealers that didn't have that FANCY of a service vehicle.

All I do is on-site repair. I don't have a shop so I try to be as self contained as possible. Most dealers have a limit on what they will do in the field, I've done most everything in the field, engine rebuilds (I do the actual engine work in my garage), clutches, transmissions, differentials. It works pretty well.

A dealer couldn't justify the expense of what I take on the road. I spent years working out of a typical service truck, I hated it. It seemed like you never had the right tools or miscellaneous parts with you. Then I spent a few years working out of a trailer at the dragstrip and figured I found the solution. But of course as time has gone on I wish I had more room for filter storage and bulk oil, but it is still much better than any service truck I've worked out of.

Thanks,
Brian

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #44  
don't forget that his price had something in it for his retirement
he too some day will want to retire and hope he has enough saved to do so

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #45  
Your comments to the OP are quite harsh, I must say. To me, he doesn't sound like a welfare recipient, he sounds like someone who has worked hard his entire life, being diligent about how he spent his money, and has been priced out of the game. I think this happens to most people eventually. I remember my grandfather, who spent 10 years in the army, then the remaining 30 or so years of his career toiling in a mill only to find that, when he retired, all he could afford was the basic necessities to keep him going. My point? Go easy on him and give him a break. Besides, a guy who 'really sticks it to people' may end up in his position prematurely.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

Agree. I think it was sticker shock is all. I think he is an honest fellow.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #46  
I really need more truck than the F450, towing 17,000 lbs everyday is tough even on that truck.

Brian

yep... it is tough. The contractor i work for has a similar setup.. has a 450 as well. stick. 01 with a 7.3psd. hard on the springs and tranny. in fact. we rebuilt the tranny this year and had to do rear suspension work.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #47  
yep... it is tough. The contractor i work for has a similar setup.. has a 450 as well. stick. 01 with a 7.3psd. hard on the springs and tranny. in fact. we rebuilt the tranny this year and had to do rear suspension work.

How was the 7.3 holding up?

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #48  
the engine is fine.. purs. truck rear suspension and clutch finaly needed work.. plus something inthe tranny let go.

.. but engine is fine.

I have a 450 and a 350 both 99's good engines in them as well.

wish ford still used em...

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #49  
the engine is fine.. purs. truck rear suspension and clutch finaly needed work.. plus something inthe tranny let go.
.. but engine is fine.
I have a 450 and a 350 both 99's good engines in them as well.
wish ford still used em...

I thought that would be the case. I wish I had one. You never seem to hear anything bad about them

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #50  
the only bad I hear about thgem is people that don't maintain their oil pans and let them rust. hten still don't maintain them.. and then they rust thru. .. and then they want to grip about 'chitty oil pans'

I tell ya. intact paint don't rust.

I live in humid florida.. I drive over brush. I ain't got no rust on 2 99's oil pans.

If I lived in a state that salted the roads 365 days a year.. then I'd invest in undercoating my vehicle with a good epoxy sealed paint treatment.

it's funny. 350's with 7.3's even though they are a 95-2003 vintage truck.. still command good money when in good condition. As much as i like the 04 6.0psd 250 I drive at work.. if I had to choose between it and a 7.3 i'd take the 7.3

the 6.0 gets up to speed faster.... but that means less to me than it might have decades ago...