Why I should never be allowed to do anything....

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #1  

GeauxLSU

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
... especially if I have little to no experience with it. Can't recall the last time I used a grease gun. Attempted to grease the tractor today for the first time (bought it on auction with under 20 hours and it now has 30 hours on it). Bought a gun and on the FIRST fitting it wouldn't come off. Called a friend with much more tractor and mechanical experience than I'll ever have and asked if there was something I was doing wrong. He immediately said "It's a new gun isn't it?"
Me - "Yep".
Him - "They do that until they break in. It'll just take some force."

Well, you see the results. Not the threads at the top. Completely BROKE inside the gun. Any great ideas how to get it off now? :confused:
It took a LOT of force to break it (obviously) and it swivels and turns easily so not sure how I'm going to get it off of there now... :(

P1010041.jpg

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #2  
Is the tip adjustable? Most grease guns I've used you could adjust the tip of it by turning it.... righty tighty, lefty loosey!

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #3  
You may have trouble with a greasegun but you take a great photo.

I would try visegrips at the base of the shaft and use it like a lever to pull straight up.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #4  
Try both suggestions. Jay

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything....
I'm not sure that I can get a wrench around the nuts now since I know it doesn't look it, but they are pretty recessed down in there. It took a LOT of force to break it (obviously) so I'm not sure if I just put a vise grip on it that I'll then be able to get enough leverage on it to loosen it.
To break it involved multiple efforts inlcuding in no particular order a 2x4 a mallet, a hammer, me lifting up with my shoulder on the 2 x 4 etc... :confused:

I will give it a whirl though...... Have no choice now. :eek:

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #7  
A crow-foot wrench may get to the nut.

Its like the head of an open end wrench with a socket wrench square hole next to it so you can put it on a socket extension bar to get down in there.

Sears & others have them.

I suppose that as long as you don't strip the grease fitting threads in the loader the worse that you have to do is replace the grease fitting & get a new gun.

Good luck.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #8  
You should be able to get a pair of 90 degree needlenose pliers in there and pop it straight up - if you cock it at all, be sure it's just slightly. If you keep a straight pull on it, there's very little chance of snapping it off down in that hole, I doub't you're ready for that !! Some grease fittings are ever so slightly bigger and will hang like yours - the one on my tailwheel on my cutter has been like that for years, and only that one. Some guns do have an adjustable tip for jaw pressure like already mentioned, and they will wear-in some with alot of use, not just with occassional use.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #9  
That just doesn't make a whole lotta sense. The grease guns I've got are adjustable as mentioned earlier. You turn the connector on the tip clockwise and it makes it fit smaller grease fittings; counterclockwise fits larger. It may be that yours was the appropriate size when place on there but then somehow the tip rotated clockwise locking it in place. If you could get your fingers down in there and turn the tip counterclockwise it may just come right off. I agree, whatever you do don't strip the threads on the fitting. I have broken fittings before but all I had to do was get some vise grips and unscrew the broken one and screw in another. I don't know what I would do if I actually stripped the threads. Good luck!

On the bright side though looks like you got a good application of grease there!:p

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #10  
Don't be so hard on yourself; the only way I know of to keep from doing anything wrong is by doing nothing.

BORING!!!;)

Besides, the best way to learn is from your mistakes...
I expect to pass "genius" status any day now!!!
:eek::D:eek: