Why I should never be allowed to do anything....

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #11  
GeauxLSU
I don't think you have room to get the necessary tools in there. Do this: take the loader off but before you disconnect the hydraulic hoses move the joystick as if you were lowering the loader. That will tuck the uprights under and open up the angle and give some more room to work. Put a pair of small vise grips on the barrel of the chuck and a wrench on the hex nut and loosen. That will release the chuck.

An auto supply store will have a replacement pipe or better yet a flex hose and a screw extractor should get the remaining piece inside the gun out.

Vernon

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #12  
An easy out, lefty drill bit, or even a flat blade screw driver driven into the grease gun/OD of the broke threads should get it out pretty easilly.

As for the tube on the zerk.. How about 2 big flatblade screwdriver or other similar prying devices ( miny crowbars for opening small crates? ), and app ly equal force on each side and pope it straight out... al the while hoping that kubota didn't go cheap on those loader zerks and use 'drive' zerks...

Soundguy

GeauxLSU said:
... especially if I have little to no experience with it. Can't recall the last time I used a grease gun. Attempted to grease the tractor today for the first time (bought it on auction with under 20 hours and it now has 30 hours on it). Bought a gun and on the FIRST fitting it wouldn't come off. Called a friend with much more tractor and mechanical experience than I'll ever have and asked if there was something I was doing wrong. He immediately said "It's a new gun isn't it?"
Me - "Yep".
Him - "They do that until they break in. It'll just take some force."

Well, you see the results. Not the threads at the top. Completely BROKE inside the gun. Any great ideas how to get it off now? :confused:
It took a LOT of force to break it (obviously) and it swivels and turns easily so not sure how I'm going to get it off of there now... :(

P1010041.jpg

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #13  
I have had such problems in removing grease fittings, too. Pull straight up..hard.

one time, I DID break a zerk... I removed the remainder with a small EZ-OUT... it came easily... threads.... replacement was found at local old line auto parts house.. I took both parts in... there are many different kinds of zerks.... found the exact replacement... they charged me nothing and said come back some time and get something worth writing a ticket for...:D

Good l uck...

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #14  
GeauxLSU said:
(bought it on auction with under 20 hours and it now has 30 hours on it).
As others have said, great pic.

Can you tell us a little about your auction experience? Did you know what you were going to bid on before you went? Did you get to inspect beforehand? Some have posted stories here that are not so positive on the auction experience, and I think they were badmouthing Ritchie in some of them. I'm wondering what your experience was like.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #15  
i find that if i roll the tip hard to the side while pulling i can use the ball head of the zerk to pop the tip off. (dont knowhow else to explain it)

but i perfer a rubber lead on my greese gun so i have more flexablity in getting into tight locations and getting the tip back off the zerk

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #16  
Take a 10" or 12" channel locks. Clamp them on the tube level with the top of the upright. Then pry down against the upright. You should be able to just pop it off that way.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #17  
JerryG said:
Take a 10" or 12" channel locks. Clamp them on the tube level with the top of the upright. Then pry down against the upright. You should be able to just pop it off that way.

What he said.....;)

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #18  
What they said, but I'd use vise grips.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #19  
texasjohn said:
Pull straight up..hard.

If that doesn't work, pull harder:) . You got it on, should be able to pull it off. May want to stand on a stool to get some leverage. Good luck.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #20  
What JerryG, FarminwithJunk, and RedRocker said (how does one post a quote?), but use Vice Grips level with loader frame, place rag on loader frame to avoid scratching it, and hit the hadle of the Vice Grips with a hammer, should pop it off.

Matt