Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #61  
So I guess you love it as much as me when folks put stuff like = F_sub_yaw. and (I_zz = I_zz + M*r^2). without specifying what any the letters means... other the R of course he specified that one.

yeah it check out...

1709656040354.png

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #62  
I second your concern based on the image. If you’re buying new, then I’d be very selective.

Bandaids could include installing airbags or an add-a-leaf, but going that route wouldn’t be my Plan-A.
How is that going to help tongue weight?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #63  
I have a 20' carhauler w/ dovetail that I use to haul pallets of firewood or logs and a Toro Dingo to load with. I pull with a 2003 Suburban 1500, and have to balance load critically: too much in front, and the hitch will scrape on speed bumps, even slight driveways, etc. Too far back, and sway will
be dangerous!
I did purchase a hitchball that included a weight scale. For many uses, that would be excellent, but since I load the firewood (or logs), then load the Dingo, it's hard to adjust balance at that point. (too late to adjust the front load) Do have a very little front/back adjustment room for the Dingo. Plan to change to a Deckover to get more flexibility, but that entails a much higher (and more dangerous) loading ramp.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #64  
Tongue weight is your friend, not your enemy. Either run airbags (or a WDH if the tongue weight will exceed the non WDH rating) or buy a truck that can handle the weight without dragging its bumper.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #65  
Tongue weight is your friend, not your enemy. Either run airbags or a WDH or buy a truck that can handle the weight without dragging its bumper.
That depends. Too much tongue weight can cause the same kinds of problems as too little, with lack of steering also thrown into the mix. Here's an example I saw parked at Home Depot a while back. Toyota Tundra with a tandem dually trailer with concrete perma column posts loaded at the very front of the trailer. I think I could have lifted the front of the pickup off of the ground by hand.
Tongue Weight.jpg

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #66  
That depends. Too much tongue weight can cause the same kinds of problems as too little, with lack of steering also thrown into the mix. Here's an example I saw parked at Home Depot a while back. Toyota Tundra with a tandem dually trailer with concrete perma column posts loaded at the very front of the trailer. I think I could have lifted the front of the pickup off of the ground by hand. View attachment 855876

Of course, it needs to be within the rating of the truck. Kind of common sense, or it should be.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #67  
That depends. Too much tongue weight can cause the same kinds of problems as too little, with lack of steering also thrown into the mix. Here's an example I saw parked at Home Depot a while back. Toyota Tundra with a tandem dually trailer with concrete perma column posts loaded at the very front of the trailer. I think I could have lifted the front of the pickup off of the ground by hand. View attachment 855876
lol that photo belong in the ''Pics of people hauling or towing something wrong'' tread, a toy truck hauling a real truck load is the problem here not too much tonged weight.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #68  
lol that photo belong in the ''Pics of people hauling or towing something wrong'' tread, a toy truck hauling a real truck load is the problem here not too much tonged weight.
True. The principle still applies though. Even if the trailer is at or lighter than the rated capacity of the tow vehicle (unlike the one in that photo), too much tongue weight can cause big problems.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #69  
True. The principle still applies though. Even if the trailer is at or lighter than the rated capacity of the tow vehicle (unlike the one in that photo), too much tongue weight can cause big problems.

I agree to your point you don't want to exceed the truck bed capacity weight on the hitch.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #70  
I agree to your point you don't want to exceed the truck bed capacity weight on the hitch.
The weight a pickup can safely take on the hitch is significantly less than what it can take evenly distributed or centered in the bed. That's a big part of the reason that gooseneck trailers can haul so much more than tag trailers.

Last edited: