Why winch?

/ Why winch? #1  

hrcarver

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040
A few folks have recommended that I have a winch mount added if I was having a trailer built. I can not see why this could be useful. How could this be useful on an equipment trailer?

/ Why winch?
I must be missing something. :confused:

For the off chance that the tractor breaks to the point where it is immobile? That is the only possible reason I can think of. That wouldn't be a easy load with a winch, but I suppose much easier than without one.

/ Why winch? #4  
For broke down stuff, like a tractor or a car. I havehepled haul a couple cars with mechanical breakdown. Also known of folks that rebuild/restore old tractors, cars ect. Some have not run for decades, have flat or or no tires ect.

Yes, I helped "winch" a car on a trailer using chain binders. We did not have a come-along or anything, so we used what we had. Inch by inch... That was a pain in the patootsie.

/ Why winch? #5  
I guess if you are never going to haul someone else's junk, Don't add it. I have hauled several vehicles for family and friends. A winch sure beats pushing. JC

/ Why winch?
Holy crap! Winches are expensive! Is there a decent hand type that can do 6k rolling?

/ Why winch? #7  
Are you serious? I put a winch on my trailer and use it all the time. I have used it to rescue cars more than a dozen times. I have helped my neighbor out 3 times alone with his GM truck. Once with a transfer case, the next time a in tank fuel pump, and the last time was a starter. I have also used it to rescue a broken down tractor, pull up implements, drag pallets forward, ect. I just went with a Harbor Freight unit and its been on there for 6 or more years with no issues.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Why winch? #8  
Just the other day I had to come-along my riding mower into my small utility trailer (wouldn't start). This is smaller stuff mind you, but the idea is the same.

Once you have a winch, you will be surprised how often you will use it. I brought home some sod once and I used my come-along to pull the pallet farther forward in the trailer. Little stuff like this is comes up all of the time.

/ Why winch? #9  
As soon as people find out you have a trailer that will haul their broke down junk, they come out of the woodwork.

/ Why winch? #10  
I am not so sure you need 6K rolling. I have a 4K rolling unit from HF, gave $150 for it, and its pulled up a full size Dodge 1500, a Chevy 1500, a diesel Suburban 2500, a Tahoe, and numerous full size cars. It has also pulled up a 8N with a 6' Bush Hog on it that was dragging due to the tractor not running and no way to lift it.

Chris