Why winch?

/ Why winch? #11  
You can even buy a smaller winch and use a snatch block to double the pull. This is a pulley you put on the object being pulled--you run the winch cable through the pulley, then anchor the hook end back on the trailer. Now there's effectively 2 lines pulling on the object, so you get twice the line pull. So if your winch can only pull 1500 pounds direct pull, it now can pull 3000--albeit at half the speed...

And yes the winch can be quite handy. I too have recovered cars, loaded my box blade on the trailer with it....

/ Why winch? #12  
That was a big plus even has a 10' remote on the trailer I own now. Had to go out and winch up a some cars in my younger days by hand. Even with a few guys it's not very fun Late at night on the side of the road. Not much to it with one.

Carey

/ Why winch? #13  
I too use mine all the time, I have a 8000 lbs winch mounted inside a tool box along with a battery, the battery is hooked up so it charges anytime hooked to the truck. Also I keep all my chains and straps in it out of the weather. One other thing I added was a wireless remote for the winch and use it instead of the wired controller, makes loading a vehicle a one person job.

/ Why winch? #14  
Wireless Really now thats Cool. And I thought I was big time with two Ports. One towards the front and the other in the dove tail :thumbsup:

Carey

/ Why winch? #15  
I have a "portable" elec. winch & a center tie-down hook on my 16' trailer, have loaded a "dead" JD 1020 w/loader with it.

My smaller trailers have hand winches. ~~ grnspot110

/ Why winch? #16  
Holy crap! Winches are expensive! Is there a decent hand type that can do 6k rolling?

Hud-son has a very tough hand winch, I own one and use it for everything. It is not one of the cheapo's you'll find at the big type stores.

/ Why winch? #17  
Get the Winch, well worth it!!!!!!

I used a hand winch on my first trailer, then come-alongs, and I am talking quality $150 come-alongs, not junk, for years. both worked OK, but were a lot of work! Now I have a winch, I will never look back, one of the best things I ever did!!!

My winch is a 3500 lb Warn, it was called the Pull-Pack, not sure if they still make it. It works great, I do sometimes use a snatch block for heavy stuff with frozen brakes etc.

It is mounted to a 2 inch draw bar. I welded a trailer hitch to my trailer, and ran wires to the rear of my truck with a connector. I store the winch inside, just slide it in the hitch and connect the connector and I am ready to go.

/ Why winch? #18  
If you are having a trailer built, at the very least spring for an extra $50 and have a reinforcement added for a possible future winch install...will be a lot harder and more expensive to do after the fact.

/ Why winch? #19  
   / Why winch? #20  
I have a winch for the back of my tow car, it allows me to tow through the front of both my current trailers for loading.

I guess, even when I am quite able to drive a vehicle onto a trailer sometimes it is just safer to winch it up.

I currently have five manual winches, chain hoists and comealong types as well as winding types alongside the electric for the back of the car. It will soon be back up by a small electro-hydralic crane that will allow me to lift as well as pull and also to raise the pulling point higher by using a pulley from the crane hook.

I should really seek therapy for my winch habit.:laughing: