Why zero-turn mowers?

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #21  
Damaging the lawn was another thought I had since it is rare to find dry grass around these parts, especially this Summer.

I did look at the Snapper with joystick control at the in-law's hardware store (soon to be ex-in-laws, though custoday will probably be awarded to me). I couldn't be sure about the reliability of the thing. Uncle said I could come up and try his as soon as he got it fixed:-(

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #22  
My parents have 5 acres with tons of trees. My mom used to have to mow when dad was working. Took her ALL DAY to get it done with a Craftsman lawn tractor deal. Then dad retired and mom said he had to start mowing. He went out an bought a Grasshopper - talk about a hoss!!! That thing flies, AND cuts way better than the lawn tractor, and came with a snow blower attachment. It's a front deck mower, not the belly deal, so he can reach way up under trees with lower limbs and never have to trim again. It's over $10K, but it is the industrial version. Funny thing is, now he has nothing but time since he can mow so fast. Drives mom nuts! :)

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #23  
I have two ZTR's, a 36" Hustler and 61" Grasshopper diesel, both preform two different functions due to the obvious size.
I can drive one handed with the Grasshopper but can't with the Hustler, it's just the way it is.
The only problem with having a beverage with either machine is grass clippings will get into an open beverage can so you have to drink real fast or take a beverage break every so often....I take several breaks just to keep clippings out of my adult beverage.

I can mow the back side of the dam of my back pond with the Grasshopper with no problems, it just sticks to the ground.

I do have a Snapper RER that has it's purpose also so regular riders will always have their place.

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #24  
I won't say I mow twice as fast, but my Bush Hog M2554 (4 or 5 yrs. old, about $7500 new) is a LOT easier to operate & easier on the equipment than when I used a 46" tractor type hydrostat. My home yard takes 1 hr., plus I mow 3 hrs. at the farm. Much of the farm mowing had to be done with a farm tractor w/brush cutter before the ZTR, not pretty! Some of the farm mowing is in heavy timber, so I opted for the mid-mount with no tail wheels. This is also a very good place for the higher blade speed and taller mowing capability-5", of the commercial grade mower. I would hate to go back to the old style!

grnspot

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #25  
I owned 2 Zero turns the last 5 years,they have cut my mowimg time in half.coobie

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #26  
ccsial said:
In defense of the old fashion way:

I have arthritus and my John Deere X748 can be driven with one hand so I can let my other hand come back to life.

In the winter the 4X4 X748 and hydraulic angle snow blade beat the snot out of a ZTR for snow removal.

I get more seat time:)
I fully agree on this and I own a zero turn mower.I had rotater cuff surgery done on my shoulder in july of this year and could not mow until late aug.There are plus and minuses to a zero turn mower.coobie

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #27  
garth466 said:
I almost bought a ZTR last May. I didn't because of 3 things. 1, I just didn't feel very masculine on the thing. 2, for the same money I got bigger axles, transmission and a Kawasaki which I'd like to believe that my next mower won't need to be bought until later down the road. Last but not least, 3, how do I hold my beverage when both hands are needed to drive the thing?

You get one of those hard hats with the drink holder on both sides and long straws.

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #28  
Went from taking 1.5 hours to cut my yard with a 36" mower to under half an hour with a 42" ZTR. Sometimes cut my grass with a CC 1650 to remember the old days and then very happily go back to the ZTR. As much fun as grass cutting is likely ever to be.

/ Why zero-turn mowers? #30  
Will_C said:
i have a BX 2200 with a 60" deck. I mow my Mother's lawn with it. It takes me 20 minutes with a trim mower, 80 minutes with the Kubota, and 12 minutes weedeating. When my Kubota was being serviced, I borrowed my brother's ZTR. It is a Toro 52" machine, heavy duty homeowners model. I mowed the lawn in 80 minutes with the ZTR, no trim mowing, and the same 12 minutes of weedeating. That was with a ZTR mower with an 8" narrower deck, and a novice operator. My brother could have done it 15-20 minutes faster. That's why I am considering one.
Will
I bet if you had banks and ditches there would still be trimming after mowing with a Z T R.