Will cheap oil ruin my tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #71  
All oils are considered synthetic.. as per court ordered naming issues of mobil vs castrol..

The 5w50 has such a high rate of shear it won't hold grade in my opinion as many others the worst oil made. If u disagree u need 2 do some oil analysis and check the stability of ur product. I've seen people who have and shear rates are unrealistic.

And a $4 oil is cheap.. they can go as little as 80c a qt to as high as $20 a qt. Also too note most oil analysis maintance consultants have noted no signifigant difference in hydro-cracked vs "synthetic" products except in specific applications. All references are online 2 be reviewed if need be.

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #72  
All oils are considered synthetic. as per court ordered naming issues of mobil vs castrol..??????? umm, little wrong here. If that was the case then ever moron in the world would have some label called “synthetic” and selling it at Wal-Mart for $0.60!

My car (lexus) manufacture recommends synthetic for a reason so do not tell me there is no difference. Also Lexus had a huge problem with people using regular oil in there engines. Also my wifes Mercedes Ml-420 only can have synthetic oil. Again there is a differance.

Your post is flawed since all applications are specific! Without it we would use engine oil for cooking.

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #73  
Ok, let's talk numbers.

You spent $30,000 for a new car, and drove it 100,000 miles.

You get 20mpg at $1.50/gal. Total = $7,500.

Change oil every 3,000 miles with 5 qt.

$4.00/qt. Total = $667.

$1.00/qt. Total = $167.

So, you save $500, or 1/2 cent per mile!! WOW!!

For 1/2 cent per mile I will gladly buy what I consider to be the best engine protection I can find!!!

Or, you could try driving 100,000 miles without changing the oil at all. You could save the whole $167, if you make it!!!

It always makes me a little sad when I see a nice vehicle that has been "restored". Too bad it wasn't just "well cared for".

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #74  
Here is the solution to your problem..... add a can of this to your gas and all your problems are solved. It has been sitting on top of my computer for a couple of days now. I am thinking of putting a bunch of them on e Bay as collectibles. You too can own a piece of automotive history.....

Attachments

• 364094-MVC-012S.JPG
    364094-MVC-012S.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 192
   / Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #75  
FOURTEEN- I will say this. Who spends $4 per qt and then drains it only after 3,000 miles! I guess they make some serious money and want to throw it away. I do not know how you do math but my calculations are somewhat different. Real #’s here.

My Lexus at 100,000 miles will be the following.

Ok, let's talk numbers.

You spent $32,000 for a new car, and drove it 100,000 miles.

You get 24mpg at $1.47/gal. Total = $6,124.9 (my Gas is in MA 3rd highest in the USA) .Why you need this data is beyond me.

Now compared to changing oil every 15,000 miles with 5 qt.
(7 changes, round up)

oil_____$5.12/qt. = $179.2.
filters__$8.00 per filter =$064.0
Total= $243.2

Now using regular oil and 3K changes
$1.22/qt._________= $207. 40
Filters __$4 per filter=$133.30
Total=$340.70

So, the delta is only $97.50 using a synthetic oil but my time savings are 2X the total for 100K usage! Using regular oil I would doing it almost every 2 months. Never mind the engine benefits of a synthetic oil.

I have done oil tests and the results are just fine so do not tell me that I need to drain sooner. I could tell you this, synthetic oil will have the same if not better protection properties at 15,000 then regulr at 3,000. You can do an oil test yourself on oils. Nothing amazing about it.

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #76  
Junkman, I don't recall ever seeing that brand, but in the late '50s and early '60s there were several brands available and we sold quite a bit of "upper lube" in our Mobil service station; mostly Mobil's own brand. Some put it in the gas tank, some in the oil, and sometimes just slowly poured it through the carburetor with the engine running at a fast idle; made lots of white smoke and a "sweet" aroma.

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #77  
Mike B.

I'm not throwing money away! I'm investing it in trouble free motoring, and helping to preserve a fine piece of machinery. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You will spend all that money to buy a Lexus, but you are too cheap to take care of it!!!??!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You probably use the drink holders and ash trays too!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif "Use it, but don't abuse it!!".

How about the next owner?? Would he at 100,000 miles rather have a Lexus with syn changed at 15,000, or an Acura with syn changed at 3,000??? Guys like you give "used" cars a bad name!!

Fortunately, here in America, we are each still free to do what we think is best! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #78  
FOURTEEN : I think you need to re-read my post. I guarantee my oil with 5x the miles is cleaner and protects better then some regular oil with 3,000 miles! I had a powerstroke diesel and the tests results PROVED it. Hell when the next person purchased the truck they were amazed by the results and wanted to continue using the oil! This was from the head of the Northeast’s Largest Lexus dealer!

Again I have results (DATA) and what do you have? Just some comment with no data to back it up. Prove to me that you are correct. You can’t!

Also I spend the money for the Lexus and my wife’s Mercedes and want the best oil out there. I would never run regular oil in them. I am not cheap nor would I buy oil at Wal-Mart and think it is fine.

Also, I think I know what is good for my 2 cars totaling over what people make.

Since you are new here you might want to re-think posting like what you have been. People could misinterpret it….

Also to answer what you have stated “How about the next owner?? Would he at 100,000 miles rather have a Lexus with syn changed at 15,000, or an Acura with syn changed at 3,000??? Guys like you give "used" cars a bad name!!”

Changed oil that soon is worthless and adds NO VALUE!

Plus you are not "breaking new ground" here with what you are saying.

To close Fortunately, here in America, there are leaders and followers…

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #79  
This is kinda in line with the general topic of diesel oils: In the 60's, I was working as a laboratory designer, and had occasion to talk to an engineer who was maintaining about 24 big Sharples centrifuges. He told of being on diesel-electric subs in WWII, where they used centrifuges to clean the oil, Jiffy-lubes being very inconvenient. Once, while running underwater under electric power, they had a centrifuge lose its balance at speed, and everyone vacated the engine room ASAP. They listened, behind the watertight door, as the centrifuge slammed and banged its way all around the engine room, taking maybe 15 minutes to slow and finally stop. I'm sure that was the longest 15 minutes of that guy's life, waiting for the hull to be breached. Nasty things, those oil-cleaning machines.

/ Will cheap oil ruin my tractor? #80  
I hear ya. That is what I posted "Plus you are not "breaking new ground" here with what you are saying. "

Status
Not open for further replies.