Will it survive? Should I even try?

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #1  

Seamonster124

Tractor
BX1880
Pretty big but also lot of roots. I've transplanted pretty big evergreens with roughly 50% survival rate. This is the largest one so far. It's a western hemlock. I'm in the Seattle area and it's the start of our wet season so what you guys think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.14.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.14.15 PM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 511
   / Will it survive? Should I even try? #2  
Pretty big but also lot of roots. I've transplanted pretty big evergreens with roughly 50% survival rate. This is the largest one so far. It's a western hemlock. I'm in the Seattle area and it's the start of our wet season so what you guys think?

Good luck . . . :D make sure you have all air pockets gone.

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #3  
Nothing ventured nothing gained. I've seen trees planted that size, but generally more care is taken when digging to keep the soil on the root ball. Fill your hole with water until it turns to soup, so that the roots can suck it up. Let us know how the tree looks next year at this time. Good luck.

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #5  
Not familiar with that tree species, but thought they were supposed to be a hardy tree? Don't know, but that root ball looks pretty badly destroyed from my perspective. But I'm used to dealing with other tree species.

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #6  
Is that your rear tire creasing over the rim?

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #8  
I want to know if that shed is working it's way over the hill.....

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #9  

Normally trees that size, and larger, are replanted with the root ball intact and either balled or boxed. Around here stuff seems to defy the rules of nature though. I have seen trees over 2' caliper moved and survived. They were boxed in place and moved out of the hole with a big excavator, lay over and cover the bottom with plywood. Set up in reverse with tons of water and fertilizer. As has been mentioned, lots of water when planting. If you are planting in soil like over herein Kitsap; you will want a big hole and lots of organic bearing back-fill. Evergreen tree roots do not penetrate into clay or sandy soil very far; their roots spread out latterly.

I took out a big fir and a big cedar at one place I lived. Both over 3' caliper. Dug around and cut off the big roots that were not very deep. We literally skidded the stumps across the sand to get out of the hole with a little Taramite backhoe.

Ron

/ Will it survive? Should I even try? #10  
Find out how/which branches to prune back. ie on pinus radiata you prune year 4 and older branches when transplanting, as the year 1,2, and 3 branches provide most off the photo synthesis.
You are also aiming to reduce the moisture stress on the tree while it grows new roots it.
Generally winter is the best time to transplant as the tree is either dormant, or growth has slowed right down over the cold period.