Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #241  
Smarter everyday just posted another video showing yet how another job can be replaced by robots.

Sheet metal forming without stamps or die

/ Will UAW Strike? #242  
Smarter everyday just posted another video showing yet how another job can be replaced by robots.

Sheet metal forming without stamps or die
I watched the video, and that's an amazing process when you consider the complexity of all the factors to be taken into account.

/ Will UAW Strike? #243  
Automation or doing with less staff is real… just left a Lowes and all the registers are pulled or converted to self check except the pro desk and garden center…

It surprised me!

/ Will UAW Strike? #244  
Automation or doing with less staff is real… just left a Lowes and all the registers are pulled or converted to self check except the pro desk and garden center…

It surprised me!
I heard that Walmart is pulling most of the self check stations and training more cashiers again. Too much theft.

/ Will UAW Strike? #246  
I heard that Walmart is pulling most of the self check stations and training more cashiers again. Too much theft.
In California they get theft either way, so they may as well save the cost of employees.

@ultrarunner. Our Lowes around here still have a mix of self check and cashiers. I wonder if it is going to spread or if that is simply a Cali thing.

/ Will UAW Strike? #247  
Self check out at Lowe's is now the way of things in red redneck KY.

/ Will UAW Strike? #248  
So what do you propose? Cave to the union on this and raise manufacturing costs even more? As it is, the "big 3"'s labor costs far exceed any of the non-union automakers.

I hope I'm never that desperate for a vehicle. 2 were enough, there ain't gonna be a third.

I’m not proposing anything other than some consideration and respect for people that assemble things here in the USA. The hourly worker and their wages have basically zero affect on our economy, yet they get blamed for higher prices because it’s easier than grappling with the real culprits.

Economic policies set by the highest compensated individuals in this country are the real driver of the circumstances we are seeing today. Right now the big money is slamming the masses to shake their assets loose at a discount. When you liquidate retirement assets to moves them into safe havens because prices are falling, who do you think is buying them? It’s not the hourly guy. It’s the people that we’re buying gold and selling you stocks while you were all in on the market rally, and the same ones know they call sell it all back to you at gradually higher prices after the “recession” is over and markets are “safe” to re-enter. It’s the same for housing and any other assets. In the mean time they are charging people 10-20% interest on money to fund the acquisitions.

The hourly worker demands are just a symptom of the economic policies, not the cause. Slamming the workers is like using a cough drop to cure throat cancer. You’re fixated on a symptom rather than eliminating the root cause of the pain in your neck.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #249  
In California they get theft either way, so they may as well save the cost of employees.

@ultrarunner. Our Lowes around here still have a mix of self check and cashiers. I wonder if it is going to spread or if that is simply a Cali thing.
Actually Olympia Washington… which surprised me… instead of cashiers 2 employees were stationed to watch at the self checkout exit at the door to the parking lot.

/ Will UAW Strike? #250  
I’m not proposing anything other than some consideration and respect for people that assemble things here in the USA. The hourly worker and their wages have basically zero affect on our economy, yet they get blamed for higher prices because it’s easier than grappling with the real culprits.

Economic policies set by the highest compensated individuals in this country are the real driver of the circumstances we are seeing today. Right now the big money is slamming the masses to shake their assets loose at a discount. When you liquidate retirement assets to moves them into safe havens because prices are falling, who do you think is buying them? It’s not the hourly guy. It’s the people that we’re buying gold and selling you stocks while you were all in on the market rally, and the same ones know they call sell it all back to you at gradually higher prices after the “recession” is over and markets are “safe” to re-enter. It’s the same for housing and any other assets. In the mean time they are charging people 10-20% interest on money to fund the acquisitions.

The hourly worker demands are just a symptom of the economic policies, not the cause. Slamming the workers is like using a cough drop to cure throat cancer. You’re fixated on a symptom rather than eliminating the root cause of the pain in your neck.
Disagree on many points.