Willow Tree Fell !!

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #11  
Willow is very soft wood, you should be able to go through that like a hot knife through butter.
Cut everything off that is not touching the ground then work smallest to biggest...have your trailer handy if you have one.

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #12  
I have used the method Turnkey4099 describes on several trees, oak and box elder. It works well. Think about where the tension is on the wood and make cuts, over or under, in such a way the saw will not get pinched.

/ Willow Tree Fell !!
While I was gone on vacation, the rest of the tree fell! Fell away harmlessly in the other direction.

I looked at the remaining stump and it looks like holes, could these be insect burrows? Next question, this thing is so dry and rotted; can I burn out the remaining stump by soaking it in diesel for a few days and lighting it?
Bob

DSC01058.JPG

DSC01059.JPG

DSC01060.JPG

DSC01061.JPG

DSC01062.JPG

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #14  
The diesel probably isn't necessary but it won't hurt. The stump will burn out all the rotted stuff leaving a big hole - Willow roots go deep (I stepped in one a couple weeks ago and didn't touch bottom. The green shell will likely remain but that shouldn't be too hard to deal with.

Harry K

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #15  
Too bad willow is such lousy firewood.

/ Willow Tree Fell !!
midlf said:

I tried to tell my BIL that fact, but he still wants it!
Bob

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #17  
Yeah, get rid of the whole tree. Once a willow goes it keeps going. I had one right next to my house and the first big branch that came down went through a window. I came home from work and there was a giant tree limb sticking through a window. We couldn't pull it out either, had to cut it up. The second big branch landed on the top of the roof. Cutting up a large tree branch on the second story roof of an old farm house isn't fun. Branch 3 came down without warning 2 minutes after my neighbor pulled out of that spot with her van. That could have been a horrible disaster. After that I decided that tree had to go. Problem was it was between my house and the power line. I decided to pull it down with my truck. I chained it around the trunk and drove off in the direction I wanted it to go. This tree was huge but it was so rotten that the chain pulled all the way through it... top third of the tree went flying, hit the power line but didn't knock it down thankfully. I hooked the chain up again and took down the next third and finally went for a third time to get it all down.

Okay never mind!! I didn't even see your pics of how the whole tree came down. The roots are hard to kill, they can go a couple hundred feet deep, wherever they need to go to find water. I didn't want to set mine on fire next to my house so I drilled several deep holes and filled them with salt. It did die eventually.

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #18  
midlf said:

It ain't that bad. About the equivalent of pine IMO. I heat my house with it as I can get it for free and very near the house. The heat equation is $ per BTU and in my case Willow beats anything else that is available here (tamarack, fir, jack pine, pine) etc.

Would I burn Willow if I could get better wood at the same cost? No.

In the case of the tree that fell, why not use it as firewood? It is there, it burns, it provides heat and it needs to be gotten rid of anyhow. Throwing it away because of 'firewood snobbery' is stupid.

Harry K

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #19  
Morning Bob.
Looks like the black ants also did the same to your willows as they did to mine.

I notice you have more willows and you may want to check them as well.

Cut up the tree in small pieces and stack in high pile and cover so it can dry,but I got a feeling its going to take couple of good burning for you got a big tree there....stump grinder will make short work of the willow stump.

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #20  
Now.... i've never tried to burn willow, but had a friend tell me it stinks to the high heavens when it burns. Is this true?