Willow Tree Fell !!

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #21  
I burned mine in my woodburning stove. It didn't stink, but it is lousy firewood. I'm sure being rotten didn't help any. Anybody ever burn Russian Olive? The farmer behind me killed mine last summer and this year I cut it down and cut it up but haven't burned it yet. This year he killed a nice White Birch... I'm starting to get mad at my tree loss. I'm not sure what herbicide he's using but it's potent stuff.

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #22  
Bob instead of messing with a lot of smaller cut pieces drag the tree to your burn pile and cut it up there.

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #23  
Ductape said:
Now.... i've never tried to burn willow, but had a friend tell me it stinks to the high heavens when it burns. Is this true?
I have never burned willow, but I have burned sycamore and it stunk like someone was whizzing on a steam pipe. (Don't ask how I know how that smells :D )

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #24  
Same with Hedgeapple (Osage orange), stinks and pops like crazy......

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #25  
Ductape said:
Now.... i've never tried to burn willow, but had a friend tell me it stinks to the high heavens when it burns. Is this true?

False. At least the stuff I burn. I did cut one down the had an odor when I first cut it - it was very wet - but that disappeared when it dried and didn't smell of anything but normal smoke when I burned it.

Actually, it is a good wood to use for smoking. I just found that out from a guy who does a lot of smoking. It was also one of the preferred woods for charcoal making back in the day.

Harry K

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #26  
roxynoodle said:
I didn't want to set mine on fire next to my house so I drilled several deep holes and filled them with salt. It did die eventually.

I think the preferred thing to put into the holes is sugar or molasses. Salt is a preservative and repels biological activity. Sugar, on the other hand, will draw all kinds of microscopic buggies to eat and digest your stump.

/ Willow Tree Fell !!
Well, based upon all the excellent advice posted here, the willow tree has been disposed of safely. Careful use of the tractor, all is left is a large stump (rotten) and one big brush pile (on the left)!

Now, should I wait until Dec or Jan to burn the brush pile on a nice 15 degree day with clear blue skies and snow all around?
Bob

DSC01096.JPG

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #28  
Once the corn field is harvested you should not have any concern doing the burning most any time. However by Jan/Feb it should have dried out sufficiently to burn better. However snow is always a burn pile concern alleviator.

/ Willow Tree Fell !!
midlf said:
Once the corn field is harvested you should not have any concern doing the burning most any time. However by Jan/Feb it should have dried out sufficiently to burn better. However snow is always a burn pile concern alleviator.

Thanks, nice to have you confirm my plans. I think a Jan/Feb burn will be fun and nice and warm. The snow will just keep any embers from going astray.
Bob

/ Willow Tree Fell !! #30  
Doc_Bob said:
Thanks, nice to have you confirm my plans. I think a Jan/Feb burn will be fun and nice and warm. The snow will just keep any embers from going astray.
Bob

Yeah. I usually wait till snow is on the ground before burning mine. I have 6 or 8 big piles to do this year. Starting the fire: Some good dry kindling and a sheet or two of newpaper as far under the pile as you can get it (usually not very far), dose the brush above the fire set-up with diesel. Light the paper and blow on it with a leaf blower (slow speed and standing back some). Roaring fire in a hurry even with green brush.

Harry K