windows 10

/ windows 10 #11  
I'll be watching this thread with interest since I plan to upgrade our computers to Windows 8 or 10 this winter.

We are still using Windows Vista when we switched from NT 4 in January 2009. Although Vista had a bad reputation I never found anything bad with it.

I think I read somewhere that Windows 10 will be a subscription based license. Is that true?

/ windows 10 #12  
I'll be watching this thread with interest since I plan to upgrade our computers to Windows 8 or 10 this winter.

We are still using Windows Vista when we switched from NT 4 in January 2009. Although Vista had a bad reputation I never found anything bad with it.

I think I read somewhere that Windows 10 will be a subscription based license. Is that true?

Don't do Windows 8.....many with windows 7, me included, will skip over 8. I intend to go to windows 10 on the next either HOT or rainy day, where I'm trapped indoors.

/ windows 10 #13  
We are still using Windows Vista ...

So YOU'RE the one. LOL

ANYTHING is better than Vista .. Heck, an abacus and an etch-a-sketch is better than Vista.

/ windows 10 #14  
I still have 98 and XP...

My portable has 7 basic...

/ windows 10 #15  
Installed it on my two Surface Pro 3's yesterday.

Yes, it is very nice and they have fixed a lot of annoying things from both Windows 7 and 8.

Always hated it when I would click on a directory and the directory would scroll somewhere off the screen.
That's fixed.

I run multiple monitors. Always been a problem with scaling between the monitors for clearest type. That's fixed.
Also with multiple monitors, you can stack one above or below the other and have the cursor move between them going up or down.

Also fixed the problem of waking from sleep and having the monitors reconfigured on their own.

Finding and adjusting any setting is so much easier now that control panel and a redundant settings box are both a right click away.

I had a problem after upgrading to 10 with AVG blocking Windows Mail from accessing my gmail account. Had to set the firewall to allow the Windows Mail executable to pass thru. Something for AVG to fix.

Had a problem with the new installation not finding my wi-if signal. I told it to continue installing, then rebooted and it was fine.

You're smart to wait and let the bugs get worked out but in this case I don't think you'll have a problem diving right in. They seemed to focus on getting everything right instead of trying to dazzle you with new games and gimmicks. It's miles ahead of whatever you're using now (windows-wise) so go for it.

/ windows 10 #16  
I really was satisfied with Win98... still have a ton of programs on that computer and simply refused to pay for the newer versions...

My Win7 is really for e-mail and to print on the go.

Before I took the leap to buy Win98... I was still using my Apple//e

So about every 10 to 15 years I upgrade... kind of like with my vehicles... no wonder the economy is booming!

The last thing I want to do is be an early adopter and spend hours, days and weeks being frustrated or leaning what some program thinks is the latest or greatest...

Back in 1982 I spent the equivalent of several months pay for my Apple system... over $3,000 and then out came Apple Lisa and it was even more expensive and I had to put my foot down and decide computer or buy my first house!

/ windows 10 #17  
There are a few things I don't like: 1. With the Home edition there is no control over updates, it's automatic. Pro and Enterprise editions let you select and schedule updates. 2. No DVD support for Windows Media Player, you have to load a third party software like VLC shareware to watch DVDs. 3. Windows Media Center is not supported. If you upgrade it is uninstalled as part of the upgrade. 4. No Hearts game software, what is the world coming to? :laughing:

Microsoft explains what you?ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10 | The Verge

/ windows 10 #18  
For the guys that have installed Win 10..... did you just do an update or did you do a complete hard drive reformat and do a clean install of 10?

/ windows 10 #20  
I stopped by Best Buy just to look this morning; sure do like what I saw. I could download the update for this computer, and guess that'd be the more sensible thing to do, but I'd rather get a new computer with a touch screen.:laughing: Have to think about it awhile, or at least a few minutes.:laughing: