Winter in Maine

/ Winter in Maine #51  
We do ski trails. ATV's are quite popular among the XC world.

Yeah, I always get a laugh at those who think a few warm days in late March or early April means spring is here. March is not spring in New England, neither is most of April. Usually arrives here around the 25th.

Whoever made my driveway must have done something right (other than having it slope towards the garage)...only a few days of mud, and even then not bad.

Curiously, are those XC ski or snowmobile trails? Don't usually see tracked ATVs used for grooming...here it's usually Snocats (or equivalent) pulling a much longer drag. Got my groomer's certificate a couple years ago, this was my first year actually out operating it.

/ Winter in Maine #52  
My 50th Winter here and Ive done it all, skiing, x country skiing, skating, hunting, ATVing, snowshoeing, icefishing, snowmobiling, camping, logging, hiking....so on. Im done....moving to a city in South Brazil called Florianopolis, have some Mainer friends waiting for me. Hoping the end of this year or beginning of next. Leaving a very good job. but I want to experience life while I have move left in me.
Sick of not seeing green 7 months out of the year-Florida does nothing for me either.

/ Winter in Maine #53  
My 50th Winter here and Ive done it all, skiing, x country skiing, skating, hunting, ATVing, snowshoeing, icefishing, snowmobiling, camping, logging, hiking....so on. Im done....moving to a city in South Brazil called Florianopolis, have some Mainer friends waiting for me. Hoping the end of this year or beginning of next. Leaving a very good job. but I want to experience life while I have move left in me.
Sick of not seeing green 7 months out of the year-Florida does nothing for me either.

Good luck! It's always nice to when someone gets to enjoy what they've worked for all of their life. :thumbsup:

/ Winter in Maine #54  
I am up early and looked out my window on Monday morning, it looked more like January than April. We do get snow in Maine but look at the rest of the country—floods, tornadoes, ice. Maine is easy. York County.

/ Winter in Maine #55  
How many inches this winter?? Some parts of the country, really do get snow!

I am up early and looked out my window on Monday morning, it looked more like January than April. We do get snow in Maine but look at the rest of the country—floods, tornadoes, ice. Maine is easy. York County.

Last edited:
   / Winter in Maine #56  
I am up early and looked out my window on Monday morning, it looked more like January than April. We do get snow in Maine but look at the rest of the country庸loods, tornadoes, ice. Maine is easy. York County.

:thumbsup: And no crazy summer afternoon thunder storms that were 3-4-5 days out of 7.
I hate the heat & high humidity down in the "mid-atlantic" area, onne of the reasons I moved up here is for the climate. Worked outside all my life and have never been as cold in Maine at 0 as down there at 35* with that wet "gulf stream" moisture in the air. It ruined the winter as well as the summer (for me).

/ Winter in Maine #57  
While checking my grapevines tonight I found that they had winter killed for the first time since I planted them in 2005. Hopefully they will be OK, I usually cut off about 60% of their growth every spring anyways. I raked what was left of the snow off the carrots and parsnips that I left in the ground last fall. There was a little frost left in the ground, but if the parsnips wintered over it will be part of tomorrow night's supper. Meanwhile the carrots are already starting to grow so I'm hoping for an early crop.

/ Winter in Maine
That's a good idea about the carrots as I have never done that . I just tilled my garden and have peas, potatoes ,carrots , and beets all planted . I have to wait for June 1st for the rest .

/ Winter in Maine #59  
That's a good idea about the carrots as I have never done that . I just tilled my garden and have peas, potatoes ,carrots , and beets all planted . I have to wait for June 1st for the rest .
I've also heard of people starting their peas in the fall, but haven't been able to find out anything more about that.
My lettuce, beet greens and swiss chard went in last week and are already up.
I just tilled tonight and planned to put peas and 'taters in; the ground is so darned dry that I may as well wait.

Last edited:
   / Winter in Maine
Our ground is drying up here where I live in Aroostook county also . I have turkeys in my field now so I'm not sure how that is going to work out for this years garden .