Wire Rope

/ Wire Rope #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I want a wire rope assembly with a thimble already crimped into the ends. I am looking for a 3/8in 50ft wire rope I can use to pull trees over or logs out of the pasture. Any recommendations where I can buy it?

/ Wire Rope #2  
Chain..... It's easier to work with and adjust length and connect and what not.....

And its safer too... IF you have high tension on cable and it breaks loose it can come at you like a knife blade....

And if you need to adjust chain length this works really well....

champ-7005-chain-shortener-jpg.716422

Last edited:
   / Wire Rope #3  
Making a loop at the end of a length of wire rope is not difficult.

Getting it to fit a commercial thimble may be a challenge.

ps://www.mcmaster.com/products/~/wire-rope-clamps-with-thimbles-not-for-lifting/?s=wire+rope+saddle+clampss

I've got a couple of flattened ones I can send you ;-)

I use wire rope saddle clamps myself. two clamps hold a load on a loop greater than any thimble can tolerate.

/ Wire Rope #5  
I want a wire rope assembly with a thimble already crimped into the ends. I am looking for a 3/8in 50ft wire rope I can use to pull trees over or logs out of the pasture. Any recommendations where I can buy it?
Check your local industrial hardware supplier. They will have cable and fittings for you to choose from.

/ Wire Rope #6  
A Flemish Eye works good with a sleeve or wire rope clamp

gg

Last edited:
   / Wire Rope #7  
Amazon has various ones pre-made. Chain is far more easier to store, however. I think you would be better served getting two chain lengths and connecting them together as already suggested. There are times when you need a short chain and times when you need a longer one. Having multiple lengths of chain will be easier to manage than one 50' cable, IMO.

I would also suggest getting the type of chain slip hook that will tighten around the log.

/ Wire Rope #8  
Amazon has various ones pre-made. Chain is far more easier to store, however. I think you would be better served getting two chain lengths and connecting them together as already suggested. There are times when you need a short chain and times when you need a longer one. Having multiple lengths of chain will be easier to manage than one 50' cable, IMO.

I would also suggest getting the type of chain slip hook that will tighten around the log.
Besure slip hook has lock lever that keeps chain from falling out of hook though....

item-template-1_copy_3_5.jpg

/ Wire Rope #9  
For the log end, I prefer this style choker hook. I have not have any problems with it becoming disconnected from the log. Amazon.com

I don't know if this style can be found preinstalled on a chain you can buy. I had to change out the hook ends on mine.

edit: there is this choker chain with the hook preinstalled: Amazon.com

I use the spring latch style you posted to connect to the tractor clevis on the drawbar.

There is also this style latching hook which I think may be more resistant to bending than the spring latch on the other type of hook, but I haven't used it to be able to say for sure. Amazon.com

Last edited:
   / Wire Rope #10  
Just go to harbor freight and buy a winch cable. Hook already on the eye. Or cut the hook off if you just want the eye. Been doing that for years. But I'd use chain for your purpose. Maybe a cable with two eyes, chain on one end.