Wire Rope

/ Wire Rope #61  
To each their own. Loggers used to use cable chokers all the time for tractor skidding, not just skylines. Nowadays, there’s not much tractor skidding anymore; it’s mostly big bucks feller bunchers or forwarder machines.
Good points. Another factor is that loggers are operating in an environment where their biggest costs might be time and labor, whereas the rest of us are not. If a cable is a bit quicker, even if it wears and must be replaced more often due to getting frayed and tearing up the operator, it may be the most profitable solution for them.

/ Wire Rope #62  
After all these responses I think my solution I put up in #2 is still the best for me.... Mainly because it's what I have and can't see where anything else might work better....

/ Wire Rope #63  
After having a wire rope break pulling trees I would not recommend it. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by full rops and brush guards but the damage was phenomenal. Not to mention nearly needing spare pants. I actually had to convince myself I was ok after the noise and dust settled!!

/ Wire Rope #64  
After having a wire rope break pulling trees I would not recommend it. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by full rops and brush guards but the damage was phenomenal. Not to mention nearly needing spare pants. I actually had to convince myself I was ok after the noise and dust settled!!
Chains tend to collapse after failure. Ropes and cables become deadly.

/ Wire Rope #65  
Tractor supply has all kinds of cables chains and parts to splice
bolt together but you may not like the prices

On board ship Navy too many sailors have been cut in half by
cables braking when high lining between two ships

willy