Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #11  
Bob_Young said:
One other drawback to the snowblower:
You really should store it inside when not in use and that'll mean, for around 10 months out of the year, you'll be stumbling over it.
I store mine outside with a tarp over it. It's been 3 years since I bought it and it's in a very good shape.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #12  
I do the same as Stef and store my snowblower on a pallet with a tarp over it. Only problem is bees and snakes! Always fine nest and a snake skin or two under the tarps.

With the snowblower it isn't too bad as it is cold and they are long gone, but with other things, well one takes his chances.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #13  
Since I don't have a stick built garage I store my tractor in a portable garage... $150 special from Harbor Freight. The blower fits neatly in the back of the garage on a pallet. I plan on using butchers wax on it after I touch up the paint to protect from rust as well as greasing it before storing it for the summer. My main concern is moisture from the humid weather which I'm hoping the butchers wax will prevent any rust
1/4" of ice currently... weathermen still can't forecast here. They originally called for 3"-6" of snow. No snow on the deck... I'm off to school... and I don't get to use the tractor today :(

Keith.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #14  
An advantage to the rear blower is you can take it off in a couple of minutes if you want the rear blade for slush. You also have your loader available too.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX
DannyD said:
I dont have one, dont need one with the front loader..........and I can go forward with it.

From the pic, it looks like you might live in a residential neighborhood. If I did, I'd just use the walk-behind snowblower for really heavy snows, and wouldn't even use the tractor. I live out in the country, though, with a driveway to the shed that has two hills, and a driveway to the road with a roundabout, a hill, a nearly 180 degree curve. Total distance is probably 1500 feet or more. So, a walk behind is not really practical, and more to the point, neither is my 48" FEL--it would take less time to use the walk behind blower than the FEL with the amount of drive I am trying to clear.

Bob_Young said:
One other drawback to the snowblower:
You really should store it inside when not in use and that'll mean, for around 10 months out of the year, you'll be stumbling over it.

The blade, on the other hand, is useful all year long and can be dropped out in the bushes when not in use.

Like you, P-M, I'm trying to get by with FEL and blade. For the most part it's enough. Have only really needed a blower once so far this year but, like you, will probably end up with one.

One thing I've noticed; the feel, speed and ease with which I now use the loader and the blade have all increased dramatically since last fall. Can mere skill take the place of another implement?
Bob

I am (on most days) exactly where you are, Bob. Except once or twice a year, I don't need a snowblower for my tractor. I also use the rear blade during warmer weather for slope and path sculpting (trying to make my little piece of heaven look like a state park).

I also think there's a learning curve that I am still climbing, and I am seeing the benefits. In fact, yesterday, I managed to clear out 7" of pretty heavy stuff just using the rear blade and then in a few places the FEL. I used the FEL mostly to push piles that I had built pushing snow from last weekend's foot of snow. I am also getting used to the idea that I want to use the FEL as little as possible, because I have quite a few different levels of incline on my gravel driveway and the FEL tends to grab a lot more gravel than I intend, and getting the level correct for the incline is difficult, especially when snowdrifts mislead you on the incline.

Stoweski said:
Hey Proud... Thought you were looking forward to pushing that snow around. :D

Keith

I was, and am, looking forward to sitting on the tractor to push snow around. That doesn't mean its easy, though.:D

I also have to consider how this is affecting my lower back. I end up having to adjust the rear blade quite a bit to get the angle right, which means jostling it around in the ice and snow so I can adjust the top link. The blade weighs 250. Once I get the hang of things, I am guessing I'll hit a "sweet spot" with the blade and won't need to move it around as much.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #18  
My JRW 55 Was $800 used ,but in good shape during the summer. It also has an electric rotator. It does a good job.
The neck thing has never been much of an issue with hydrostatic drive.
And like the others I'm sure if you find it does not fit your program you can resell it. Mine just gets the chain oiled the motor covered and put in the woods for the summer.

That being said most of the time I use the blade on the front because it is faster. But when things get deep / or just too much for the blade the blower does a good job.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #19  
I'm just south of the Twin Cities in MN and have a new B7800 in the garage with only a FEL. I was Christmas morning excited about both the snowfalls we've gotten and the chance to use the new rig. I live in housing development so space to put snow is limited-right now I win the contest for biggest pile of snow in the yard. My Kubota is going to our farm in SE MN which has had over 40" of snow in the last week-so after reading your post it sounds like I should start putting my nickles away for a snow blower.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #20  
proudestmonkey said:
Total distance is probably 1500 feet or more. So, a walk behind is not really practical, and more to the point, neither is my 48" FEL--it would take less time to use the walk behind blower than the FEL with the amount of drive I am trying to clear.
1500 feet... you'd need a front snowblower.

IMHO working on a tractor isn't just a question of getting the job done (unless it's your job all year long). Fun is also important. Sometimes it's ok to spend a bit more money to get the right implement and have fun with it. That way you'll always be looking forward to work with your tractor and your implements. It makes happier people. You know, Proud, you could clear your driveway with a small shovel (it could be done), but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be a happy man, living in fear of the next snowfall. If one is happy to clear his driveway with a blade, it's great too, that's the goal. If you have the chance to try a snowblower on your tractor, do so. Afterward you'll be in a good position to compare what is best suited for your needs (I mean to get the job done AND to be happy doing it).

There IS a problem with what I said: If you really like your winter setup and there's no snow to play with... well, you'll be a bit sad. I've waited 3 years to get a winter like this one (1 big snowfall and another one is coming my way this afternoon). I had so much fun with the last snowfall. I used the tractor for 2 days and a half (2 full diesel tanks burned, around 20 hours of seat time: daylight or not).