Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX
Stef said:
1500 feet... you'd need a front snowblower.

IMHO working on a tractor isn't just a question of getting the job done (unless it's your job all year long). Fun is also important. Sometimes it's ok to spend a bit more money to get the right implement and have fun with it. That way you'll always be looking forward to work with your tractor and your implements. It makes happier people. You know, Proud, you could clear your driveway with a small shovel (it could be done), but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be a happy man, living in fear of the next snowfall. If one is happy to clear his driveway with a blade, it's great too, that's the goal. If you have the chance to try a snowblower on your tractor, do so. Afterward you'll be in a good position to compare what is best suited for your needs (I mean to get the job done AND to be happy doing it).

There IS a problem with what I said: If you really like your winter setup and there's no snow to play with... well, you'll be a bit sad. I've waited 3 years to get a winter like this one (1 big snowfall and another one is coming my way this afternoon). I had so much fun with the last snowfall. I used the tractor for 2 days and a half (2 full diesel tanks burned, around 20 hours of seat time: daylight or not).

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, Stef. The problem of course is money. I watched a guy across the street and two doors down use his simplicity with front blower to clear a 150 foot driveway. Here I was with my walk behind on my driveway. Today, though, I didn't bother to clear the shed trail, which is probably the longest part of my driveway. Normally, I'd have to, but since I cleared it during the storm yesterday, there's only about 5 inches on it, and it is March, so I'll just let it pack down.

As far as waiting happily for the next storm to have a chance to use your tractor, I have two things to say. First, I know exactly what you mean. Second, we are truly a weird bunch around here.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #22  
I think it would be worth looking for a good used snowblower. If it works for you- great, if not you can sell it and get most of your money back. I got a used 60" this year for my B7800.As far as power goes I could push a wider one, but since it will spend most of the year sitting around I wanted something that wasn't too big and the narrow one is also nice for cutting walkways and is lighter if I have to move it around. When I take it off I set it on a pair of wheel dollies( made for car hobbiests, but they hold 1000 lb each and you can buy the "made in China" ones cheaper than you could build them) in the garage, then it can be pushed into a corner, and when hooking it up I wheel it over and line it up to the tractor -very easy.Driving backwards hasn't been an issue for me- I sit half sideways in the seat and operate the backwards hydro pedal with my toe, and as long as I'm turned halfway around reaching the manual chute rotator seems pretty easy. The one thing I wasn't prepared for is that the slightest breeze in the wrong direction will blow all the really fine snow back in your face. Wearing a balaclava and using common sense about which way to blow the snow seems to work. I've heard people complain about the manual chute rotator so maybe some are harder to reach than others or maybe they're just harder to reach on bigger tractors and tractors with cabs. Good luck whichever route you decide to take.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #23  
proudestmonkey said:
I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, Stef. The problem of course is money.
As far as waiting happily for the next storm to have a chance to use your tractor, I have two things to say. First, I know exactly what you mean. Second, we are truly a weird bunch around here.
I've hesitated to include the money factor in my post and I didn't do it on purpose but of course money is a major point in a situation like this. IMHO, every man deserves a tractor. I guess we're a lucky bunch... and a weird one too. :D
As other TBNers mentionned, you could find a used one after the season for a fraction of the price of a new one.

If you look at the bright side of the situation, the day you'll have a snowblower you'll appreciate it a lot more than the one who never really hardly wished a snowblower and has one. I know what I'm talking about. I began with a hand shovel when I bought my first house. I moved to a walk behind snowblower some seasons later and finally bought a blower for my former BX23 and kept it for my B3030. So when I use my blower to clear a foot of wet snow... believe me, I appreciate it a lot. :)

Geez, we have social programs for almost everything: health, education, culture, etc. I raise my hand to vote for a program based on subventions or tax reductions to help people buy snowblowers. After all, tractors are important to build a better world. :D

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #24  
I am to confused I do not know what I want to buy next either a front mount blower or a front blade for my BX. If some one out there could help me make the decision I would appreciate it.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #25  
Merlin said:
I am to confused I do not know what I want to buy next either a front mount blower or a front blade for my BX. If some one out there could help me make the decision I would appreciate it.

I don't know how much snow you get or what your drive is like but here are few things I've learned in 40 years of owning tractors.

If you get a foot of heavy snow the BX may not be able to push it with a blade but the blower would be able to move it.

If you can't drive off to the side of your drive, your drive will get narrower and narrower. Mine has trees on both sides almost to the edge, a blower is the best way for me to go.

If you have a front blade you'll have to take it off and put the loader on if you get drifts or snow too high for the blade.

If you put a front blade on you'll need more weight in the rear than with a blower. You don't need as much traction with a blower.

For what it's worth.:)

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #26  
The front blower is the best, BUT the most expensive, if u have the $$ go for it. BUT I warn u will also want a cab with heat to go with the blower. Now u are up to about $4K. Is it worth it I think so:D , see my set up below my name.

I had the rear 3 pt 54" blower and front FEL combo, but got tired of driving backwards and spent the $$ for the front blower set up.

Here is what I do each fall and spring to get ready for winter.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/91339-getting-bx-ready-winter.html

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #27  
Well some years we get alot of snow but in the last few years there has not been alot. Athough this year we had a couple of storms that took me awhile to move with the fel and the back blade. How ever I do not like looking backwards and it hurts the neck. I live on the New York Boarder. Some storms are 2 to 3" and the next storm could be 1 to 2'.

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #28  
Merlin said:

My way of thinking is pretty easy. It costs $100 per hit for someone to plow my driveway. (1000' + driveway) That's not per storm but per trip. Currently this year would have run me $400 so far. On top of that it's roughly $1000 every three or four years if I have to bring in gravel to replace what the plow pushes into my woods. With the blower I wouldn't have to replace it but once every 10 years or so.
The 2750 front blower cost me a total of $2650 which included my components to outfit it for an electric chute rotator and deflector. Give or take my average of $500 per year for someone to clear my driveway and the approximate gravel expense I'm looking at recovering the cost of the front blower in five years.
As for the plow option for the tractor I'm still looking at having to replace the gravel every few years but not quite as often because of me taking my time and not tearing up the driveway. However, as already suggested by ccsial above, I have no place to put the snow once I plow it because I'm pretty much on the side of a hill.
I've used my blower about five times so far this year. I have not seen the need for the cab. One reason could be because I enjoy the snow and don't mind getting some on me. Sure I look like a snowman when I come in but the cost of a pair of artic weight carhartt bibs, a jacket, a good pair of boots, and a balaclava is nominal compared to the cost of a cab. Besides, I don't have a place to store the tractor with the cab on.
Besides the reasons I've mentioned, it's fun throwing snow onto my neighbors driveway some 100' away and watching people drive by in awe as the blower throws the snow 30' up in the air! :)
Keith

/ Wishing I had a Snowblower for my BX #29  
All I can say is that Today I was glad to have a Snowblower!