woman needs help buying tractor

/ woman needs help buying tractor #1  

lhgrant

Tractor
Kubota L3830 HS
I am looking to buy a Kubota L3830 to replace a JD1050. I need that size in order to move round bales of hay. Went to dealer to look for new one and found a L3710 HST with FEL, 75 hours for $15,500(looks brand new). I got excited about saving may be $5,000 over the price of a new one, but the more am thinking about it, I dont know. Why would someone trade-in that new of a tractor? Salesman tells me that person trades every 3 years. Do people do that?? .
Am I looking for problems, no factory warranty, could it have unseen problems? What do you suggest?

/ woman needs help buying tractor #2  
Re: women needs help buying tractor

Welcome to TBN!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't comment on the Kubota you are looking at, as I do not know much about that brand.

I don't know of anybody that trades tractors every 3 years. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Test drive it, and see how it is.

RedDog

/ woman needs help buying tractor #3  

Could be the tractor didn't meet the needs of the first owner. I'd ask the dealer about it, then ask for the name of the owner and call him. For that amount of money, the dealer and owner should talk about it.

I'd also ask if there's any warranty left. If it's only a few months old, there should be factory warranty left.

I bought a new Kubota when I'd found a used one with only 100 hours, but it had no warranty left (it was privately owned and almost 3 years old).

Also, by getting new, I got cheaper loan rates from a dealer.

Good luck in your search.

If the unit is almost new and low hours, and the previous owner has a logical reason for trading, I'd say go for it.

Ron

/ woman needs help buying tractor #4  

I know of a guy who trades in his tractors every 2 years!

I know people who do the same with cars, every 2 or 3 years.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #5  

Agree that you should talk to the previous owner(s?).

Although you didn't ask, you may want to ask the dealer for a demo to see how it handles round bales, if they are the ones about 6 ft in diameter. My luck with a slightly smaller tractor wasn't so good.

John

/ woman needs help buying tractor #6  

Number of hours doesn't tell you anything about WHAT KIND of hours they were. You may want to have it checked by an independent mechanic if you're not so inclined (I think a prospective buyer is entitled to that, at their own expense). Be cautious & good luck!

/ woman needs help buying tractor #7  

Ms.Grant:

First off, welcome to TBYNet, where you can get opinions and help on any tractor related question.

Second, you need to fill in your Bio.

Thirdly, How big are the rounds?? I had a 3710 HSTC that would handle 4 squares but only with some kind of counter weight on the back. I don't think for a suburban owner 3 years and 75 hours is out of line. For a rural owner, 75 hours is one season. I personally don't trade every couple of years unless I up rate.

What type of terrain do you have versus the bale weight. Like I stated above, the 3710HST would handle a 4x4 bale, but that is about all. One problem with the earlier Grand L series tractors is the steering linkage on the 4wd models. Basically, what you have is an oversize pitman arm attached to the steering box and two actuator rods (one to each wheel hub) attached to the cast arm. There is quite a bit of axial stress placed on the bushing where the arms attach to the cast arm. When I traded in my 3710 with about 250 hours on it, there was appreciable slop in the bushing You could feel that slop as steering wheel play with the motor off. I always greased the unit at intervals twice the recommended interval, so non lubrication was not a factor.

I'd suggest lifting the front of the tractor with the FEL bucket until the front wheels were off the ground about 6". Walk over to either side of the tractor and grab hold of the front wheel and try to move it back and forth. At the same time, observe the attachment point where the rods fit into the cast pitman arm (it will be easily visible with the front end raised). Any appreciable movement in the bushing indicates that a rebuild is eminent.

Any heavy work with the FEL, like moving rounds, dirt, etc., where there is a lot of weight on the FEL will accelerate the problem.

The newer Grand L's like my 5030HSTC have eliminated the linkage all together. The newer models have hydraulic ram type steering and no linkage.

I checked the specifications on the 3830/LA723 loader combo and the lift on the loader is 1400 pounds, basically at the edge of the bucket lip. Add a bale spike and you'd be right about 1000 pounds. Go to the quick attach Bobcat style mount and spear and you'd probably be about 1200 pounds. The gross weight of the tractor is 3330 pounds and the loader probably weighs about 1100 pounds. You can't add the weight of the loader to the gross weight as the bulk of the loader weight is past the centerline of the tractor.

You would have to have a substantial amount of weight on the back of the 3830 or the 3710 for that matter, to counter balance the loader/bale or the tractor would probably lift the rear wheels with disastrous results. If you are set on either the 3710 or the 3830, at least mount a large rear blade or weight box for your own safety.

My 5030HSTC will handle 4x4 bales with no wieight on the back whatsoever. 4x5's require some ballast on the rear. Most of the time when I am loading bales in the field, I have a rear, 3 point spear on as well as a bucket spear in front. The ballast of an 800+ pound bale in th back is plenty for stability.

Attachments

• 357715-5030 1.jpg
    357715-5030 1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 113
   / woman needs help buying tractor #8  

"I don't know of anybody that trades tractors every 3 years. "

Actually there are several people right here on TBN who have traded multiple tractors in the past few years.
If the tractor looks clean and is not beat up then it is probably OK. Does it have lot's of hours on it? was it used at a rental yard? lot's of things to investigate. J

/ woman needs help buying tractor #9  

First off, only fill in your bio if you choose to do so. Secondly, surely you are planning on lifting the bales with the 3ph, which should be no problem for that tractor. I would treat that used tractor just like buying a used car. Drive it, check it over thoroughly, and see if the dealer will offer any kind of warranty. If no major problems show up in 30 days , it should be ok.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #10  

Norm:

Yours is.

I suggested the bio simply to ascertain what type of land/terrain she was dealing with. Rough terrain and rounds on a loader can be quite dangerous. Just ask any one who deals with them like CowboyDoc.

Actually, I traded the tractor previous to the 3710 in at 35 hours and about 2 months of use. It didn't measure up to what I needed.