woman needs help buying tractor

/ woman needs help buying tractor #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why would someone trade-in that new of a tractor? )</font>
Don't know! but i bought my tractor used, from a dealer, 2 years old with 68 hrs. on the meter. have not had 1 problem with it. u have to be the final judge! sometimes u just get lucky, just chek it out good.

/ woman needs help buying tractor
Re: women needs help buying tractor

Thanks, guys for all your input. I'm going to have to do some more thinking and looking.
I usually keep an implement on the back of the tractor for weight, and try to stay on flat ground as much as possible, when moving hay, even if it means opening 4 gates to go thru, as my property is fairly hilly. My hay spear is homemade, it attaches to the bucket and probably does not weigh more than 100 lbs.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #23  

Ms. Grant:

It's not the weight of the spear, it's the weight of the bale on the spear coupled with the fact that the bale is way out front of the tractor.. My bucket spear weighs about 70 pounds.

If you have your heart set on the 3710, take my advice and check out the front axle. Use the procedure I outlined in my previous post to you. Kubota HST units as well as their engines are pretty bullet proof. The weak link in the 3710 is the steering mechanism. If the dealer is adverse to you checking it per my instructions, leave the tractor be and look at something else.

Hi Daryl,
If I understand right, you think the 3830 is better made than the 3 year old model 3710. May be they worked out some of the weak links?
Of course if I got a new one, I would be more comfortable having a warranty, than taking chances on a used one.
I hate to go to anything bigger, because besides the hay, there are no majors improvements to be made on the farm, nothing than an even smaller tractor could not handle.
To-morrow one of the salesman is coming over to give me a trade-in price on the JD. I guess I'll take it from there and go shopping around some more.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #25  
Many guys I know trade tractors every few years. Mostly it is because of tax purposes or they just like to buy a new tractor. There are also alot of tractors out on lease. I sure wouldn't shy away from it just because someone traded it in. More than likely it's exactly as the saleman said.

With that said what I would be concerned about is trying to move round bales with a 3710. Unless those are awful light bales I don't think that 3710 is enough tractor for you to safely move round bales.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #26  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mike:

I stated that right from the get-go. I used my 3710 for rounds but always with ballast on the back. It would be suicide literally to try it without some counter weight on the 3 point. 4wd gives you the feeling that you have traction when in fact, the rears could be hardly touching the ground. Rough terrain makes it worse )</font>

I was agreeing with you and this point is SO important I didn't want it to get buried!

Y'all are giving me a lot to think about. I am so glad I joined this list.it will probably keep me from making too many mistakes.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #28  
I have an L3430 with the 723 FEL and live only about 25 miles from you in Bremen, GA....using the QA forks and 60 inch boxblade for weight, I can move 4x5 bales anywhere on my 15 acres (going slow and carefully) with no problems...

GareyD

Hi Garey,
Who did you buy yours from?
I'm shopping around.

/ woman needs help buying tractor #30  

Mike:

I appreciate that. I don't ever want anyone to get hurt or killed by overturning their tractor.

I still get a little nervous, especially on frozen bumpy ground with the rounds on the front spear.