won't buy a Massey again

/ won't buy a Massey again #21  
First I am not in parts business other than consumer, not too sure it is the dealership that is hitting us with the high prices, they are really getting high price to them. Years ago was told in a product line they were selling it for about cost for they made their money on replacement parts. It was not a tractor brand. Matter of fact it was a household appliance line and when I was pricing parts was told that and believe that.

Just wondering, did you check with any source other than Massey? Years ago NAPA did sell a good bit of MF engine parts. Better say Perkins engine parts.

Am I the only one who forget all the post till you hit to post it?

Oh Massey has no plants of their own I understand so you may find the parts you want from another source. It sounds like you checked ebay but do true internet search.

/ won't buy a Massey again #22  
Can you adapt a generic valve to work on the MF?

I'm sure you can. These photos are from my having had a welding shop in eastern PA mate a Case loader to my B2150 Kubota. Really nice result with never a problem. Had the new-to-me loader 6 or 8 years. Note the Bucher loader valve was chosen by the welding shop and is Italian made. P1020642.JPGP1020639.JPGP1020640.JPG

/ won't buy a Massey again #23  
I have a large FEL running on two side by side Log splitter valves.

/ won't buy a Massey again #24  
Reasonable part costs are typically available for older vintage tractors that were made in larger numbers where economies of scale and aftermarket manufacturers have tooled up to make more units. Older Fords, Massey's, and Deere's come to mind. Newer units that will have lower unit production numbers will always have higher parts costs. My new New Holland Workmaster 50 has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. In 20 years when that electronic cluster display croaks I hate to see what the replacement cost will be. I doubt the numbers sold will be anywhere near the Ford 4610 SU I bought last summer. Many parts like hydraulic valves, cylinders, starters, ETC, can be sourced and rebuilt as mentioned. My reference was regarding parts unique to the specific tractor model.

/ won't buy a Massey again #25  
I would bet another manufacturer built the valve. Look on it for numbers and manufacturer. Cross it if you have to. I have a Massey and I deal with an out of town dealer due to the local one being terrible. I purchased a clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and some other small parts for less than $500. I don't think that was at all out of line. Recently I heard my alternator was noisy. Pulled it and took it to an alternator/starter shop. Fully rebuilt with new guts less than $100. I don't even know what one from Massey would cost I'm sure it was outrageous. Magneti marelli alternators are also in land rovers and are really expensive. My point is no matter what brand of truck or tractor I have so many parts are built by other people sometimes dealer is cheaper sometimes not.

/ won't buy a Massey again #26  
What is wrong with your valve?
No older that that tractor is the valve shouldn't be worn out.

/ won't buy a Massey again #27  
Kinda with you on this one. Have a 1533 with only 358 hours on it. The fuel shut-off solenoid just went south. Woodward no longer makes the one I have and could not find a replacement online. The dealer just charged me $214 for it!!! When searching online, I found very similar ones for Kubota, Yanmar and even Deere that were less than $30! If I could figure out a way to rig up an old-school, manual choke type shut off cable to it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

/ won't buy a Massey again #28  
Massey dealers seem to be dropping out here in Virginia, too. The one that I bought my new 1533 from no longer sells them. The local dealer, who has sold Massey Ferguson for decades, still services and sells parts, but is no longer listed as a dealer from the Acgo website???? Anyone know why the dealers are dropping out????

/ won't buy a Massey again #29  
Massey dealers seem to be dropping out here in Virginia, too. The one that I bought my new 1533 from no longer sells them. The local dealer, who has sold Massey Ferguson for decades, still services and sells parts, but is no longer listed as a dealer from the Acgo website???? Anyone know why the dealers are dropping out????

I'm not sure that this is representative but in Appalachian areas many, if not all, of the dealers are old, been in business many years and no young generation is taking over. I think it is because farming in these areas (small farms) is just not profitable and few people have the money to buy a tractor new. Many dealers are shifting emphasis to the estate keepers and wealthy folks who are buying expensive high profit compact tractors instead of farm tractors. There are not many of those in the Appalachian areas. In these areas when a dealer closes down there are no "good offers" to buy them out and even when someone tries, AGCO tends to reject the franchise unless they have plenty of cash and healthy sales records (which few do.) Thus many close the doors forever. AGCO wants to see bigger dealers. You can count all the Massey dealers on one hand in the entire state of West Virginia. Deere is even worse and has the reputation in several places of doing what they can to force groups of dealers under one hub. The whole picture is NOT working in favor of the small operator, especially not in this region.

/ won't buy a Massey again #30  
The family ranch in western South Dakota has a MF 5465 and while the older generation is still around the business the younger generation is running it but they don't seem to want it. If feels like you are bothering them when you go in for parts and the tech support is horrid from what it used to be. ("See if you slam the lever it will register a gear change, just slam it really hard.")

In the area all of the Deere dealers are now all bought out and only one company has them all and a few have shut down. Right now my family is looking to go Kubota for the next tractor purchase, they are happy to see you and love to help you out when you walk in the door. I think John Deere and MF are going to be in a world of hurt as Kubota and other smaller companies keep nudging into the ag realm.