Chipper Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #11  
We have the 5" bearcat chipper/shredder which is a great machine. After 2 years it still works like a champ. We recently purchased a Jinma 6" chipper to use instead due to 1) larger infeed; 2) ability to throw the chips.

THe primary reason for replacing the bearcat is with the volume of material we are chipping it was a constant struggle to move the chips away from the machine (it dumps the chips right below).

Only have a few hours on the Jinma but so far so good. Being able to throw the chips is working out well and the side benefit is that we don't have to trim things down as much with the larger opening. On the Jinma, while 6" is the rated max, the cutter opening is actually 6x9.

Now the reason we didn't add the blower option to the bearcat is that it would have cost nearly as much as the Jinma ($1,200 ve $1,500) and I heard that when it clogs up you have to do some unbolting to clear it -- not something that I want to do when in the middle of a project.

We still have the bearcat and haven't decided whether or not to try and sell it as it is a great shredder -- very aggreesive -- you have to watch your hands as it pulls material thorugh very quickly.

OK, the downside on the Jinma is that we can't run at it's max capacity with only about 22 HP @ the PTO. But anything that big we'd burn anyhow.

Before you spend the money on a chipper I woudl suggest that you evaluate what your needs are with regard to max size and length of material. If you are planning on anything long I would suggest something with a horizontal, wide hopper (like the Jinma) so that you don't have to lift and hold (watch out for moving) material. Also, if you will be doing a lot I would strongly suggest the automatic feed.

If you have the $$$ and enough HP @ the PTO there are some great machines out there and if we had the HP & $$$ woudl have probably gone for a Valby.

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #12  
Pictures please /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #13  
OK priced the Woods and... well they are on some incredibly heavy drugs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now I'm looking at the Valby CH140 HF They seem to have realistic prices.

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #14  
I've also experienced the sticker shock of the woods chipper/shredder, but then evaluated my needs and didn't
really need a shredder anyway - just a chipper.
I ended up buying a Wallenstein BX40 to mount on
my Kubota B7500 (you can get them orange, green or blue,
of course) and used it the first time yesterday. So far,
seems to work pretty well - just make sure that you have
your PTO running at the 540 rpm rate - otherwise if too slow
it won't draw the branches in. So far, I am quite pleased
that it meets miy needs for small (1-3" diameter) chipping
around the family homestead.

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #16  
If you want commercial, look at Valby:

http://www.threeriversforestry.com/

This machine really gets it done and is very well laid out. Low load height, hydraulic feed, strong infeed roller etc.

I demo'd a CH 140 and opted to the CH 170 which has 1000RPM rotor speed. The CH 140 is very impressive, and the CH 170 just blew me away when I first used it...

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OK priced the Woods and... well they are on some incredibly heavy drugs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now I'm looking at the Valby CH140 HF They seem to have realistic prices. )</font>

Mid $6k for the 140 with power feed. Add about $1200 for the CH170. The 170 sounds NASTY. You can really hear the rotor blow! I ran the 140 demo for about 4-5 hours and loved it! Only got to run my 170 for a few minutes trying to feed thorny crap into it. What a pain thorny stuff can be. I couldn't imagine manual feed or a higher feed chute location...

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #18  
I have the CH140 without the power feed running on my Kubota L3430... More than enough machine for anything that I send into the feed chute. I run about 600 rpm on the PTO and at that speed it really is almost self feeding. $3500 on 12/08/03.
I have mine set on 6x6 blocks, and the feed chute is just right for me. NEVER A PROBLEM with this equipment.

Pete.

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #19  
Okay, this looks like a good machine, but can someone please explain to me why the hydraulic feed is almost $3,000, when there is no pump or supply tank? For gosh sakes, its just a hydro motor and a feed roller system. Man, I like this but this is a great example of what I mentioned earlier...7 grand just isn't justifiable for maintenance of ten acres....at least to me.

/ Wood Chipper PTO Attachment -- Dr Chipper #20  
I'm in Upstate New York too, and would love to see your chipper operate some time. I have a Kubota 4300 and plan to buy one to put on the three-point. Could we communicate further about where you are and how I might check out your equipment? Thank you!