Wood Identification Help

/ Wood Identification Help #11  
Hello Scotty.
I cut couple white oaks w/the same markings not to long ago...white oak kinda has the bark plus grain.

/ Wood Identification Help
Egon said:
It surely looks like split wood to me!:D :D

Good Afternoon Egon,
It surely is !!! :) It heated me once allready, and Im hoping for a repeat performance this winter ! ;)

Im thinkin sassafras.

Thomas,
Good to hear you back on old buddy, I was gettin a little worried you dissapeared on us ! ;) :)

/ Wood Identification Help #14  
It's Oak. Unsure if white or red, but it is Oak.

David

/ Wood Identification Help #15  
It's not red oak, I'm positive of that. White, maybe, but it doesn't have some of the usual characteristics of white oak, with the exception of one edge of one piece that has the tell-tale checkering like oak would, yet the bark is not what I would usually expect from white oak.

Do you have any leaves from where the tree was cut?

/ Wood Identification Help #16  
"it is not very dense or heavy" -- probably not white or red oak then:D
Also oak tends to lose its bark fairly quickly when dead -- this tree did not seem to:eek: One thing is for sure -- it is firewood now:)

/ Wood Identification Help #17  
The more I stare at that photo, the more I think you've got two different kinds of wood shown there.

Those woodpecker holes were made by a Sapsucker, and around here, sassafras is one of their favorites.

/ Wood Identification Help #18  
Thank you Scotty.
Last months you might say been a real eye opener.

Hope life been good to you and your family.

/ Wood Identification Help
Good Evenin Guys,
A couple more closeups of my mystery wood ! :) I have been working with red and white oak for years in my workshop and this is not oak ! Its similar to ash but not as dense and the wood is more yellow and the bark is different, maybe some kind of poplar perhaps, but it does smell nice when burning ! ;)

BTW ash is on the right amd the mystery wood is on the left !

Attachments

• MysteryWood1.jpg
    MysteryWood1.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 426
  • MysteryWood2.jpg
    MysteryWood2.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 213
   / Wood Identification Help #20  
The bark is similar to some species of poplar. But that as far as I would commit myself.:D :D :D

Last edited: