Wood Identification Help

/ Wood Identification Help
J.Walker said:
The mystery wood is Bass wood, burn it before it rots!

Good Evenin Jack,
You along with a few others vote for bass wood, and who am I to dissagree ! :)

Thanks for your input, and your right, some of this stuff has started to spalt allready so I guess its time to burn it soon !

It has a great smell workin out in the yard while this stuff is burning ! Im guessing that this stuff is still considered a hardwood but on the very low end of that scale ?

Thanks again guys ! ;)

/ Wood Identification Help #23  
J.Walker said:
The mystery wood is Bass wood, burn it before it rots!

I'm with the Bass wood.

It's been some years since I cut and burned it but it gets light in weight and burns quick so you'll want to mix this with some hard wood for better results.

/ Wood Identification Help #24  
Its poplar,I would suspect either trembling aspen or large tooth polpar,it burns great as long as dry,but does not produce the same BTU's as any of the other hardwoods.The key is to get air dried and under cover. In this neck of the woods we saw some for lumber,makes great boarding in and I have seen some poplar used for flooring,personally I don't care for it as flooring because it is very bland looking. Back in the day when pick up trucks had wooden strips on the box floor much of the wood used was poplar,because once dry it is very hard and wears well.

I say this as a retired Forest Tech.and conservation officer.....For what it is worth.:) :)

/ Wood Identification Help #25  
it's cottonwood. It burns fast and isn't great firewood compared to some of the much harder species. I rarely even bother to split it for inside use. It's great bonfire wood.

Hope that helps