Wood or wire mesh?

/ Wood or wire mesh? #1  

TractorRob

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT3201D
I am looking at getting a small trailer for times when a 16' is more than needed - mostly for things like a lawn mower or bags of mulch. I plan on getting a 5 x 8 and I was wondering what the advantages are of wood or wire mesh. They are close enough in price that if one is significantly better than the other I will go with that one. What do you guys think?

/ Wood or wire mesh? #2  
My 5X8 has the expanded metal floor. 16 ft. has wood, 20 ft. is tread plate. Like them all set up this way.
Bill

/ Wood or wire mesh? #3  
For that small of a load the mesh would be nice but if you want to haul mulch or soil it can be trouble.

Chris

/ Wood or wire mesh? #4  
if you're going with a 5x8 and think you might want mesh for certain things, go with mesh. just buy a couple sheets of plywood and make some bolt on sides and floor for the occasional times you need to haul things that can go through mesh.

/ Wood or wire mesh? #5  
I prefer wood. A buddy had a 5' x 8' with mesh floor and it sagged between the supports. All he hauled on the trailer was an ATV (Honda 300). I have owned a 6' x 10' trailer with wood floor for 20 years and have hauled a little of everything: mulch, sand, dirt, ATV, lawnmower, and moved myself and others using it. I replaced the original untreated floor with a treated floor about ten years ago and expect it to last several more years.

/ Wood or wire mesh? #6  
Personally I've never understood the appeal of a mesh floor.
I don't want stuff falling through, be it excess dirt on an implement, a nut/bolt or a piece of whatever I'm hauling that fell off that I need....:confused:

/ Wood or wire mesh? #7  
I've got a 4'x8' heavy duty utility trailer with a mesh/expanded metal floor and I LOVE it. :thumbsup:

I can tie down anything no matter how weirdly shaped it is because there is always an anchor point. :)

If I'm wanting to haul something that the floor is to porous for, I have a 'solid bottom' I lay down for the task.

I wouldn't want to give up the tie down options for the rarer time I'm hauling something that could "flow" through.

/ Wood or wire mesh? #8  
As you can see no one can agree. Its like Ford, GM , and Dodge. I personally like wood floors on trailers. They are not slick and can be replaced cheaply.

Get what you like and fits your needs. There is no right answer.

Chris

/ Wood or wire mesh? #9  
I had a 5 x 8 with the steel mesh and welded channel iron between the cross supports for carrying the load of my JD112 mower. The mesh was nice as noted for tie downs as long as you don't stretch the metal. The mesh is lighter so it makes the trailer easier to move by hand. I sold this since I could not haul my BX1850 on it and I now have a 77" x 10" wood deck trailer and it is much heavier to move by hand but more convenient to haul mowers on since I don't have to worry about the mesh sagging.

I guess you need to look at your projected use and needs and then make a decision. Neither one is perfect for all conditions.

Roy

/ Wood or wire mesh? #10  
I've got a 4'x8' heavy duty utility trailer with a mesh/expanded metal floor and I LOVE it. :thumbsup:

I can tie down anything no matter how weirdly shaped it is because there is always an anchor point. :)

If I'm wanting to haul something that the floor is to porous for, I have a 'solid bottom' I lay down for the task.

I wouldn't want to give up the tie down options for the rarer time I'm hauling something that could "flow" through.

I would not even trust a lawnmower to that mesh floor, if stopping in an accident i think the tie would just rip out of one of those diamonds.

My uncle has mesh it is rusty now after 10 years and saggs terrible from just occasional firewood, lawnmover and 4 wheeler trasport.

If treated wood is the same price i would get it you could expect 20 years out of it not doing anything to it. Add oil or water sealer every 5 years or so and flip boards for appearence after 15 and you may go 30 years.