WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #11  
Sun Treader,
I see that you've bent your thumb tines also. I just did the same thing last weekend. I'm going to bend my back and run a 1" grade 8 bolt and nut, 8" inches long with a piece of pipe in between to add some strength to it closer to the tips. It seems to me it should have been set up this way as the 1" hole are already there.

HP

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #12  
I have one too. Good hoe and the only problem I've had is the pump/gear box leaks but I understand the old one I have has been replaced with a new one piece pump so it should work better. I have maybe 35 hours on mine and I suggest hyd thumb too. I don't use it that often but when I need it it's priceless. Also welded a chain hook on the back of my 9" bucket to pick up stuff with the chain.

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #13  
Update on my WM-8600.
It has been okay for the most part, but I've had issues. First of all,
1. I was unfortunate enough to have purchased before they switched to the Italian valve. The Chinese valve is way too sensitive IMO. It's like ON/OFF switches as opposed to light pressure moves slowly. Very jerky and hard to be smooth.

2. I don't like the 3pt hook-up. You can spend 45 minutes trying to hook it up and if you're lucky, not tear up anything on the tractor while doing it. Very aggravating to say the least. I too have bent up the top link pin. So much so that I was determined to convert to a sub-frame hook up and I'm almost done with the conversion. It's taken awhile, but I think it will be a huge improvement and lowers it a bit so the stabilizers properly contact the ground. The other components of the BH upper braces have bent also. I don't think I was all that hard on it. Just the mild steel used is too soft.

3. Bent my Hyd. Thumb pretty easily while pulling out a medium sized rock. It also bent the pin the hyd cylinder attaches to. I contacted Woodmax about purchasing their newer designed thumb with the teeth. I asked if it was now reinforced since mine seemed too easy to bend. The reply was no, it was the same mild steel. I took my bent one to a machine shop to be straightened. They reinforced it with more steel and put weld "drops" on the edge to act as teeth.

4. Hyd. tank leaks at the temp gauge. Cheap Chinese rubber around the bolts. I've been struggling to find the right sized oil resistant rubber washers to seal those up. No luck so far.

IMG_0162(1).JPGIMG_0164(1).JPGIMG_0182(1).JPGIMG_0185(2).JPG

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #14  
Looks like a standard sight glass I've seen on other equipment. Maybe you could find a higher quality replacement?

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #15  
I've had some of the same issues. I did convert to a subframe and it is 10x better. Also bent my thumb doing the same thing. My plan is to weld angle on the outside to stiffen it in once I get it straight again. I have the old pump an it leaks about a pint per hour. I blew out the supply hose from the pump to the control valve body...don't try to find the metric banjo fitting...easier to just convert to US SAE fitting with an adapter. Estimate to get the metric banjo was $130 and maybe six weeks...Parker Hose folks were great...$8 for adapter plus hose...I think total was $54 and done in 15 minutes. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln...how was the play?

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #16  
Good to know Lowrider. I'll keep that in mind if my hoses give way. Thanks -

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #17  
We used a Mahindra 5555 for the WM8600 we purchased in late 2015. There is only one pin location for the top link and it is integral to the drafting. We bored out the WoodMaxx top link to that pin size. Now here is a cautionary tale.

The hydraulic lockout on our tractor was a mystery to me and in less than an hour bent the top link. Fortunately, neither the operator or equipment was damaged. $100 to replace top link, injured pride, lockout located, lesson learned.

paucHHWdt1LJC4zsiWDWDqozAfCEtzwOWQOPTwt1f_HDi_uIiGUXwVwO-gbzXDlq9WQGXChYInfnYd8573q28_Cr6UnrzxQ3pidsReyJOSAW0ez1Tr8nQaEW3-vtWB5k1YIBBfUhRewXMV68wwO1tK24sRO2QaW59UaVuhekjemNTq1fxuBHzt83PZQQwsUj1qciFHh5mZtgiYh_rI1U7BDzvm6t05-r97ri3VcoDzok3O7X8_XxjbVmsHLeU5iJd1Vm9UKSyfl7kLsweLHi7qCAXTWhBTZTN9Ftl5h6VVL4M0AVRYQA7Aanpv5AkcwiGAzzrx3L6kketMq2wbfFa-_AC8FceXi1Cr8DmH4jrToYC9kt7fqeo8R3JMe9qISOou4SM9PT4heaCzggMfvgxCHfykTJ7gkbw7ksnCuwtT3Kjgxc8KGqpA8_OgA4jBbT2U91Ob9guMaeGGkOWI4XJSsZcY6uU1ClOEtDXfENJw_Cicrprq05NSq504tlOYYnzIo89z-PzAnIIKPwJeNgJ73hTRE4EKhJoWB9nyKqr7axj3KP3HBT1kKKeC8IK-BMPzxKoVI4JaUPw-kLCmoYC4ecnovvOJqy_-REOtDq=w877-h654-no

So far, we have only used it that one time. We have another tractor of sufficient weight and wheelbase, a Deutz 4506, that I am considering using and leaving it on more or less permanently. It has fixed top link pin holes, but no front end loader. Any observations on that?

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #18  
Hmmm looks familiar! My son bent mine in just about the same spot. I called Woodmaxx and they told me that it can't be bent unless you lift the tractor rear wheels off the ground. My son swears he didn't. I bit the bullet, paid for a new one and installed it on the BH and went back to work. That happened on my Ford 2120.

Also bent linkage and a pin on the bucket and I did that digging roots on a big stump. Woodmaxx sent me new parts for free but it still took the hoe out of commission for 2 weeks.

When I traded in my 2120 and bought the Kioti I bought their subframe installed ($500 I think) and adapted the hoe to the removable subframe. It was no small welding job and I needed $130 worth of 1/2" and 3/4" steel to adapt the Woodmax to the Kioti subframe BUT it is solid as a rock now and I can pull 2 pins and pull away from the hoe. Hook up is a little more difficult but 10x easier than trying to align the 3 pt hitch to the attach points on the hoe.

NOW, I think I have a pretty solid machine to run off my Kioti...still have a leaking PTO hyd pump but that's something I can live with until it gets worse.

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #19  
Just wondering how the woodmaxx backhoes are doing??

/ WoodMaxx WM-8600 3-point backhoe review #20  
Mine has been resting all Winter but have every hope she will get right to work when needed. I have about 400' of water line to bury but I'm not going to do anything until I get my current house sold so it may be awhile. Can't do my electrical service either until I get the permit...so I have nothing to report yet.