Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #11  
Bob53 said:
Yeah i guess its and option, at least i know its advalible for it.

My invoice says 'Woods 5' Brush Mower with Slip Clutch', so i magine they will have to get the option for me at no charge. i just have to prove to him I did not get it. Hopefully woods will return e-mail with info i need.

I contacted Woods about a year ago over a warranty issue I was having with a dealer. It took Woods about 48 hours to return my email. If you don't hear anything right away, don't despair. It may take a while.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch
Farmwithjunk said:
I contacted Woods about a year ago over a warranty issue I was having with a dealer. It took Woods about 48 hours to return my email. If you don't hear anything right away, don't despair. It may take a while.

thanks for the help!

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #13  
Bob... thanks very much for posting this.

After reading this threads I decided to go and just check out my slip clutch on my Woods BB60. I bought this setup with my tractor in March of this year. I paid the extra for the optional slip clutch. So it says on my invoice. Never really had a reason to check it out.

Today I decided to go figure out how to slip it - just to check that it was working properly.

Guess what - I found a shear bolt!. I'll be calling my dealer on Monday.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #14  
I also made the mistake of running the new mower equipped with a slip clutch without adjusting it. Turns out they come locked down from the factory so there is no driveline protection. The first thing you should do with a new mower or new slip clutch is go through the break in and adjustment procedure. It needs to be readjusted pretty often too. I am beginning to see why there are folks that recommend against slip clutches in general, they work great but MUST be adjusted first and often. If there are folks on TBN who didn't even know it wasn't there then it follows that those folks didn't adjust it.

Slip clutches are great, adjust yours today.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #15  
Highbeam said:
I also made the mistake of running the new mower equipped with a slip clutch without adjusting it. Turns out they come locked down from the factory so there is no driveline protection.

Really? I'm not saying what you said is not true, just that I've never heard of that nor is anything like that mentioned in the manuals of my slip clutches. Now, every slip clutch I own came factory set to slip at about 40 hp, so if you have under 40 hp at the PTO you wouldn't have any protection. I don't have a manual here with me, but I seem to recall that the hp setting is made by the length of the springs. For example, the clutch is factory set for 40 hp slip when the pressure springs are 15mm long. To lessen the hp needed for slip, you loosen the bolts on the springs (making them longer) or you tighten them to increase the hp needed for a slip. Don't take that 15mm as fact for 40 hp though, that is just off the top of my head.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #16  
Dargo,

Is that 40 hp @ 15mm figure just a rule of thumb, or was it from a manual somewhere? I don't recall ever hearing it exactly that way before. Is there a compression vs slip HP graph too? That would be nice to see.

Thanks!
jb

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #17  
john_bud said:
Dargo,

Is that 40 hp @ 15mm figure just a rule of thumb, or was it from a manual somewhere? I don't recall ever hearing it exactly that way before. Is there a compression vs slip HP graph too? That would be nice to see.

Thanks!
jb

Although the 15mm was pulled out of my butt :), there is an actual exact figure in the manual. Now you are going to make me admit that I don't remember where my manual is. :eek: It did list several different hp settings and corresponding spring lengths though. Since the tractor I use to pull the 7' rotary cutter has over 40hp at the PTO, and the rotary cutter has a 70 hp gear box on it, I just checked the spring lengths to what the manual said and left them alone. I'll try to find the manual if I can and then post a copy of that page. Hopefully someone else on here will have a similar manual and be able to beat me to doing so.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch
canoetrpr said:
Bob... thanks very much for posting this.

After reading this threads I decided to go and just check out my slip clutch on my Woods BB60. I bought this setup with my tractor in March of this year. I paid the extra for the optional slip clutch. So it says on my invoice. Never really had a reason to check it out.

Today I decided to go figure out how to slip it - just to check that it was working properly.

Guess what - I found a shear bolt!. I'll be calling my dealer on Monday.
Let me know what you're dealer says, my dealer still telling me i have a slip clutch, he said they do not sell any without them. When he is in area he said he will look at it. I highly doubt i have one, e-mailed him pix, there is no cluch, this is right in front of gear box. I'll be sure to check adjustment when i install or get it.

Attachments

• IM000060.jpg
    IM000060.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 216
   / Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #19  
NOPE, the cutter is NOT equipped with the slip clutch that you purchased..............Also, I just want to say that I don't think that you should have to "wait for the dealer to be in the area", either.......Someone from there should get on out there and take care of you, unless you and the dealer agreed on "arrangements for warranty work" when you made your purchase.

Travis R

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #20  
The thing about slip clutches is that they seize up during shipping and during periods of nonuse. So the same spring length will allow slippage at different torques when the clutch is all rusted and stuck vs. the clutch that is recently slipped. My slip clutch instructions had no spring length chart but it did have instructions about loosening the springs as needed to provide slippage but not to overheat. Very vague, I feel the clutch for warmth every now and then and to be sure it is slipping at least a little bit on the big hits.

A slip clutch is not a set it and forget type deal.

For the sake of the thread, please find the attached photo of my slip clutch on the mower.

Attachments

• tractor butt.JPG
    tractor butt.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 241