Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #21  
Highbeam said:
A slip clutch is not a set it and forget type deal.

Yeah, just use it like I do. At least once each time I use it I manage to hit either a large "hidden" rock or a large "hidden" stump that gives the ole slip clutch a test. :eek: There again, I added a considerable amount of 2" 3/8" wall square tubing and 2" X 3" X 3/8" angle to enable me to use my rotary cutter as a battering ram. :D Even though it weighs almost 1200 pounds I see I still have a weak area. The last time out I managed to put part of a bowling ball sized rock partly through the top deck part of my rotary cutter. Maybe if I just add 1/4" plating over all that area... ;)

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #22  
Highbeam said:
I also made the mistake of running the new mower equipped with a slip clutch without adjusting it. Turns out they come locked down from the factory so there is no driveline protection. The first thing you should do with a new mower or new slip clutch is go through the break in and adjustment procedure. It needs to be readjusted pretty often too. I am beginning to see why there are folks that recommend against slip clutches in general, they work great but MUST be adjusted first and often. If there are folks on TBN who didn't even know it wasn't there then it follows that those folks didn't adjust it.

Slip clutches are great, adjust yours today.

I bought a Weasler slip clutch from Welcome to AgPart.com last summer for my 4-ft KK rotary cutter that I run with my 21-hp Kubota B7510HST (17-hp PTO)

Here's what I found out from one of Weasler's techs:

"The clutch has a series of exposed springs around the outside, to adjust the torque setting of the clutch, you need to turn each bolt on the springs the same number of rotations to keep an even pressure all the way around the clutch. Turning the bolts to compress the spring will increase the torque setting, and turning to expand the springs will decrease the torque setting. The clutch is shipped from us preset at 8,000 in-lbs setting. If you turn the springs down to the point they are fully compressed, then the clutch will not slip giving you no protection."

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #23  
mmmmm slip clutch

32323.jpg

although the one on my new-2-me ford hog is a little diffrent design (perhaps one that predates the spring style)

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #24  
Here is a link to the Woods brushbull online manual (PDF)
http://www.woodsequipment.com/manuals/manuals/Ag/MAN0050.pdf

It shows the slip clutch and tells how to adjust. If you have a slip clutch you should easily find it. On a side note how do you drain the fluid out in order to replace it at 100 hours as Woods recomend?

Attachments

• Brushbull slip clutch.JPG
    Brushbull slip clutch.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 464
   / Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch
Thanks to all, I understand much better now. I know i deffinitly do not have the slip clutch now and was not standard on my model as posts said so i see why its possible to come without one.
The pix i sent the dealer and posted here, he said he thought he could see the slip clutch in it??? Its not there, and i'm not going away that easy, he said they check all there records and the unit he sold me had a slip clutch. So i guess if he has record of it, he is going to half to talk to Woods on why he did not get was was on his records. I'm in no rush to get it but i think I'd better just take the driveline off and take it up to him so he can get this ordered for me rather than waiting for him to stop by. i'd take the whole unit to him but have no trailer, dealer dropped off for me. This site is great and everyone so knowlegable and helpful, thanks

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #26  
Bob, you seem to be right on track and have a level head. Getting in a big rush doesn't help matters any, but also if you wait too long; well, things tend to get worse. Good luck. It's apparent that you don't have what you were told you have.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #27  
marcussen
just changed oil in gear box-had to suck the old oil out with a contraption similar to an antifreeze tester or battery tester-only a little bigger that holds more of a volume-seems as though there is no drain plug on the woods BB60-hope this answers your "side note" question-going to ck. my slip clutch now cause I've never adjusted it in 3 yrs.-learn something almost every time I get into tractorbynet.

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #28  
sence we are on the slip clutch topic... (hope you dont mind a small hyjack)

how the helll do you adjust this? (notice no springs)

slip_clutch1.jpg

slip_clutch2.jpg

(that second one is kinda craptastic i know)

/ Woods BB60 Rotory cutter Slip clutch #30  
schmism said:
sence we are on the slip clutch topic... (hope you dont mind a small hyjack)

how the helll do you adjust this? (notice no springs)

I have no clue. My slip clutch is the exact one that "Schmism" posted in his pic.