Thumb Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics
kozak said:
...Currently looking to buy 40 tons. Absolutely NO rock in our area. Have to get it trucked in from many miles away. HEY, maybe if I rent a transport you can fill her up for me. :DVic

Send it on down! ;) We have enough rock (thanks to a little glacier melt from a few thousand years ago) to keep up with anyone's demand, and it's ALL in my BACKYARD (or at least it seemed that way when I used to have a shovel in my hand). Geez, I'm not sure where that ole shovel is, now that I mention it? :D

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #12  
Lee

Is that a sub-frame hitch on that B90-x? It does not look like a 3PT. I think Woods calls it a 4PT hitch.

Thanks
Brian

Brian,

Woods makes both a 3pt and subframe attachments for the BH90-X. Mine is the subframe (4pt if you prefer). I would recommend the subframe install, it's much stronger.

This is a link to their subframe install manuals for tractors of most any color. Backhoe Sub-Frame Mounting Kits Operator's Manuals

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #14  
Thanks MadDogDriver. I followed the link and it lists a lot of the Kubota models but does not show the M8540. I find that interesting as their brochure for the BH90-X shows a sub-frame mount on a tractor thst sure looks like a M8540.

BTW, is yours powered by the implement pump or is a separate PTO pump better recommended.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #15  
this thumb is powered off the left stabilizer, where do they tap into the hydraulics, I have looked at putting a second rear hydraulic for the thumb,

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #16  
MadDogDriver said:
Thanks Lee. Your color looks good too. ;)

I have just a couple hours playing with it so far. When we got the TLB, the hyd hose kit for the BH wasn't in so I had just a mechanical thumb for awhile. Useful, but oh so slow. Now the thumb is like a real human thumb. :) I have to be careful if getting on from the bh left side as I accidently stepped on the extend side of the thumb control when trying to get my 13's out of the way. :eek:

Lee, have you noticed if your left stab lowers slower now with the hyd thumb installed? Mine does and I think it's because the hydraulics to the thumb come through that control valve. If I step on the retract side of the thumb while lowering the stab it drops at the same rate as the right stab. It's only on the left stab extending. No problems raising it, nor with right stab in either direction. Just an observation.

no mine doesn't do that. I never used mine without the thumb installed. IMO the hyd thumb is definitely worth it for the kind of work I'll be doing with it. While still not quite as powerful as a fullsize backhoe it is an impressive unit.

Catman1 said:
Thanks MadDogDriver. I followed the link and it lists a lot of the Kubota models but does not show the M8540. I find that interesting as their brochure for the BH90-X shows a sub-frame mount on a tractor thst sure looks like a M8540.

BTW, is yours powered by the implement pump or is a separate PTO pump better recommended.

Catman,

Mine is powered through the tractor. You'd need to have the PTO pump installed if your tractor can't produce the required 9-12gpm/2500psi to operate efficiently. Your L4330 meets that requirement. I'm not sure about using the BH90-X on the M8540. Woods must have a reason for not including the subframe mounting info for that large of a tractor, unless they figure that it's 3pt capability is sufficient enough to not need a 4pt subframe mount??? I'm neither a Woods nor Kubota expert by any means. Sorry.

laurencen said:
this thumb is powered off the left stabilizer, where do they tap into the hydraulics, I have looked at putting a second rear hydraulic for the thumb,

My thumb operates just fine powered through the left stabilizer. You obviously aren't going to be using the thumb and stab simutaneously, so it shouldn't be a problem.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #19  
MadDogDriver said:
Catman,

Mine is powered through the tractor. You'd need to have the PTO pump installed if your tractor can't produce the required 9-12gpm/2500psi to operate efficiently. Your L4330 meets that requirement. I'm not sure about using the BH90-X on the M8540. Woods must have a reason for not including the subframe mounting info for that large of a tractor, unless they figure that it's 3pt capability is sufficient enough to not need a 4pt subframe mount??? I'm neither a Woods nor Kubota expert by any means. Sorry.

If Woods has no subframe for one of the M-series Kubotas, then it is
most likely due to lack of demand and/or volume of sales of that unit.
It is interesting to look thru the aforementioned subframe listing on the
Kubota web site as it is a good indicator of what the popular CUTs are
out there.

What is the diameter of the boom or dipper cylinder? Cylinders of 3"
OD run plenty fast at 6-7 GPM. A tractor that can deliver 9GPM is more
than enough flow for this size of cylinder.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #20  
My dealer is supposed to talk to Woods today about the BH90-X and the M8530. I will let you all know what he finds out. Maybe the 3PT will be strong enough, although I am dubious.