Thumb Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #21  
Catman1 said:
My dealer is supposed to talk to Woods today about the BH90-X and the M8530. I will let you all know what he finds out. Maybe the 3PT will be strong enough, although I am dubious.

Even Woods has moved away from pinned connections, as used in their
earlier subframes. Their newer "4-pt" subframes I have seen use secure
bolted connections to avoid any wiggling. Even a Cat 2 3-pt connection
is going to do some serious wiggling. Wiggling is VERY bad when dealing
with the forces incurred with backhoe use.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #22  
That make sense dfkrug on the wiggling. I will see what Woods has to say. I sure like the BH.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #23  
Some more info. I just talked to Woods. They say that there is a 4PT hitch for the M8540 for the BH90X and she even gave me the part number (102300).

BH90X retail is $9200 with the Hydraulic Thumb
The Hose kit is retail $280
4PT hitch retail is $1593

12 inch bucket - $625
18 inch bucket - $750
24 inch bucket - $850

She was real pleasant and friendly. Kind of unusual nowadays. Thanks Woods!

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #24  
I would like to rejuvinate this thread by posting what I have paid for a Woods BH90-X with a hydraulic thumb (101827HT). As of today, my backhoe attachment is on a freight truck and per tracking number is passing through Iowa and on it's way to me in California. I won't at this time name the dealer. I will say that it was built for me just this month at the Woods plant as the dealer nor Woods had one in stock (hydraulic thumb and paint color) for immediate shipping.
BH90-X Groundbreaker w/ factory installed hydraulic thumb, 18" bucket, sub-frame kit to fit my tractor and hose kit to supply hydraulic fliud directly from my tractor:
Less than $9000.00.
The above figure does not include tax, installation or freight to my location.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #25  
From memory, I believe I paid a little over 7K for the same BH with the mechanical thumb a couple of years ago. That hydraulic thumb is pricey.

I love the BH but am not as impressed with the mechanical thumb. I have used it to good advantage on occasion but generally I find it gets in the way and because I have a grapple or 4n1 on the other end of the tractor it is not hard to duplicate the functions of the thumb. For way less money than a hydraulic thumb you can get a grapple and necessary hydraulics. I just point that out as an option for folks considering the BH. I honestly don't know what I would do if I had to do it again. The mechanical thumb is not as useful as a hydraulic one but the hydraulic thumb is so expensive that you really have to have a good reason to buy it.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #26  
......the hydraulic thumb is so expensive that you really have to have a good reason to buy it.

Woods is pricey on all their stuff. Look at CATMAN's quotation above
from more than 2yr ago. Hyd thumb options for hoe attachments, sold with
the hoe are very rare. Over $1000 for the option is borderline outrageous,
but where else are you going to go if you don't want to DIY?

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #27  
Over $1000 for the option is borderline outrageous

As I recall it is closer to $2000. :eek::eek: Even the mechanical thumb was over $750 as I recall.:eek: Those are pretty silly prices considering what you get in terms of steel and hydraulics. Like I said earlier, you need a really good reason to order a thumb from Woods. If you are building a stone wall or moving lumber for a living those sorts of expenses can be justified pretty easily but they are not necessary for most BH work and border on being essentially convenience items for the average TBN private BH user.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #28  
As I recall it is closer to $2000. :eek::eek: Even the mechanical thumb was over $750 as I recall.:eek: Those are pretty silly prices considering what you get in terms of steel and hydraulics. Like I said earlier, you need a really good reason to order a thumb from Woods. If you are building a stone wall or moving lumber for a living those sorts of expenses can be justified pretty easily but they are not necessary for most BH work and border on being essentially convenience items for the average TBN private BH user.
Concerning the MECHANICAL thumb - If the Woods is $750 for a BH 90 that is a big jump from what I paid ($350 installed) for the thumb for BH 70X. And note I do plan on moving a lot of logs and some big rocks. Bro-Tek was going to be $420 plus SH.
I did have to "upgrade" to a 16" bucket, because the thumb was not compatible with the 12" bucket.

/ Woods BH90-X Hyd Thumb pics #29  
My Woods BH90-X with hydraulic thumb and 18" bucket cost $7000.00 purchased 6/1/2009.