Woodsplitter Question

/ Woodsplitter Question
yomax4, so you went 4" ....OK, sounds good. Would it be possible for you to get a picture? Smoker

/ Woodsplitter Question #12  
I will try to send a pic in the morning. ( gotta catch a plane ).

/ Woodsplitter Question
Sure would appreciate that yomax4. Pictures really tell the whole story. smoker

/ Woodsplitter Question #14  
irish69man, The tech at Speeco told me that the 4 way head was only good for soft wood. How has yours functioned for you? I have a couple of years of warrantee left on mine and he told me if I modified it in any way I would void it. smoker

FYI; there is considerable variation in actual wood hardness in both groups; some hardwoods (e.g., balsa) are softer than most softwoods; on the other hand, yew is an example of a hard softwood.

I posted this quote because I'm not sure why a 4 way would only be good on soft wood. I have split hemlock that was harder splitting then cherry or maple????:confused:

/ Woodsplitter Question #15  
Justs to toss my 2 cents worth. There would be the other factors of knots and whether or not the wood is dry or wet when split before putting on a 4 way head. Cottonwood is a bugger to split when it is real dry as it is stringy. Splitting it green is easier not that I am going to burn the junk.
Dry fir is easier to split than green. With all of the wood that I get I don't try to hand split stuff with knots any more. I am faster swinging a splitting maul on nice straight grained wood than my splitter. So I will swing the maul for exercise and speed. The 34 ton splitter gets the gnarly stuff. I have considered a 4 way blade though if I am splitting big rounds.

/ Woodsplitter Question #16  
I think your sons idea has merit and I think it will work. You just will need to add gussets for back force. I'd put the higher wedge right on the larger part of your wedge and add side gussets from new wedge all the way down to the old gussets.

You really shouldnt have to worry about warranty on the splitter. There is not too much to go wrong on it. its either the engine or seals in ram that goes wrong.

/ Woodsplitter Question
At my age I ain't faster at anything...except drifting off to sleep :). We have Oak, Black Locust, Ash and some cherry. Green Locust and Oak can be very stringy. All I need is a couple of inches in hieght to clean it up. You are right Radioman, there really isn't much to go wrong and that's why I'm going to go ahead and try it. Sure do appreciate all your help. smoker

/ Woodsplitter Question #18  
Smoker,
While your idea is a good one, it will most likely tear up the moveable wedge. I built my own splitter with a ram that pushes into a fixed wedge. Far better for your idea. My neighbor has one similar to yours, and he has twice had me weld up the moveable wedge as the poor factory welds tore apart.
:ashamed:

/ Woodsplitter Question
222, ( my favorite caliber ), then that would be an exersize in futility and also would conjer up a comment from my wife relating to " another one of his dumb ideas ". I've seen many designs and some have merit an others just ain't gonna work. Worst case, I crank up the old Lincoln and make more Turkey poop :)

/ Woodsplitter Question
Here's what I ended up with. I want to thank you all for helping. smoker

Attachments

• splitter mod.jpg
    splitter mod.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited: