work platform on truss boom

/ work platform on truss boom #21  
I under stand but buckets/ loaders for work platforms are not safe, (your manual will have a warning in them that says not for carrying persons,

Good luck and hope it is not a death trap for you,

/ work platform on truss boom #23  
I under stand but buckets/ loaders for work platforms are not safe, (your manual will have a warning in them that says not for carrying persons,

Yea dat

/ work platform on truss boom
Since i built that loader too, its manual just says "put your brain into gear before engaging the manbucket"

Those who live by fear, die by fear.
Once my brother tipped me over too far over a fence and a ditch, allmost horizontal. The tip circuit safety relief opened and i stopped the chainsaw, laid it on the floor of the manbucket and held on to the rail while i sank to the ground. Knowing the kinematics of my loader, i knew this could happen, but when it did, the acceleration was so slow that it scared my brother more than me, while i was the one sinking down.

Actually its only problematic when reaching out far, with a horizontal frame so i can never fall (what is fall, even if a hose breaks, the oil squirting out will have enough resistance to slow me down enough) from full height, only from 3 or 4 meters. Next time i dont rely on the driver but take full notion of the position the loader and manbucket are in.

/ work platform on truss boom #25  
Ever see how fast stuff drops when hydraulics fail?

But what the heck; I'm not in it!

/ work platform on truss boom #26  
Ever see how fast stuff drops when hydraulics fail?

But what the heck; I'm not in it!

Exactly, It wont be a easy ride down, more like a sudden drop with a hard landing. While this contrapsion might look cool, I wouldnt get in it.

/ work platform on truss boom #27  
I love it. Just thinking about something similar, and why I was on this site. I was thinking of placing the "manbucket" on a swivel, similar to the way a ferris wheel seat works. That way it would be self leveling. I understand some type of limiting device would have to be installed to prevent tip overs. What do you think?

Great thread

If properly tested and used with caution, I don't think it would be more dangerous than commercial lifts, and less dangerous than overextending on an extension ladder leaning against a tree or pole with a 12 foot pole saw in hand. The only thing I would avoid would be using it on a sideways incline, or near hi power lines. And you **** well better trust who ever is operating the controls. Probably not a good time to break your wife in.

Last edited:
   / work platform on truss boom #28  
While the for mentioned safety concerns are legitimate and the danger of hydraulic failure very real, I think credit is due for coming up with a very creative solution to a problem he had. And given he has the ability to design and build both the lift and the FEL himself, he likely has a solid understanding of the danger of system failure. I would be interested to see what he would come up with in regard a cylinder stop/lock as a added safety feature.

/ work platform on truss boom #29  
I have a JLG T350 trailer mounted lift. It will rise 35' measured from the floor of the bucket to ground level, but after 25' I need drugs and a windless day to get 'er done. The bucket on this model is removeable and can be replaced by a jib arm, so I made one to meet my needs for a crane. Also, this model has plumbed air, water and electrical lines up to the bucket area. To solve the tree trimming issue, I've mounted an electric chainsaw on the jib arm which can be started from the ground with a momentary switch when a limb is in position. I don't cut down firewood material, just trim and shape my tree lines (I like 'boxwoods': trees that look like boxes). The JLG has boom lift, extension and pitch controls.

This setup allows me to run the whole operation from the ground (There is a ground based control panel and a bucket mounted one). I can see where a limb falling on the frame of Renze's rig could break it, bend it, or tip it or worse: cut a hose. Fresh oak is VERY heavy. Even segments of limbs being cut off can do some serious damage.

This machine can be rented from nearby Lowe's stores (In fact, mine was a former Lowes unit), but I wanted one to easily trim trees, service my windmills and paint the barns. I had it certified by a local JLG service center in case there were some hidden problems.

I also have a 40' commercial ladder that I used to use for these purposes, but I like retirement without the added death, injury, and amputation worries. My dogs would never fogive me.

Attachments

• 20150906_195002.jpg
    20150906_195002.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 254
   / work platform on truss boom #30  
What do those units do in regard to hydraulic failure?

Seems like an orifice on each cylinder would protect-ish against hose failure. Of course, not against cylinder failure.
My washer hoses have (supposedly) protection against bursting............where they shut off automatically. Maybe something like that?

Just for discussion purposes....