Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #1  

flyinghigh

Silver Member
Tractor
century
If you have been following my other thread about the hell we have been in for 7+ months with our T494 you will know why we are now seeking a full refund. Sufficient to say that after sale support from the manufacture and parts are non-existent.

Assuming we are successful our next choice is the MT3 line. the 494 had a 49hp engine, the MT3 offers 4 different HP levels although the lifting capacity for all is the same according to specs.

What has your real world experience been with the HP in your MT3 series and are there any concerns you have had we should be aware of?

I know 1 big difference is the much lower lift height of 96 inches vs the 110 on the T494, but at this point having a tractor with a low lift is better than having a tractor in the shop that you can't ever use.

Our uses for the tractor in order of importance will be:

1. moving brush
2. moving snow with a self contained berco 72 inch snow blower (has its own 33hp vanguard motor)
3. cutting about 1/2 a mile of ditch with sickle mower
4. moving a few round bales from time to time

Thanks.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #2  
I love my LS a lot but if I was in your boat and after my LS dies I will prob be looking at another kubota.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #3  
Seems like you are eyeing a tractor with plenty of size and weight for your listed needs, so that's good.

I seem to be in the minority where my tractor suffers from excessive regeneration cycles, other than that, it has been great.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #4  
I may be wrong, but with these now very complicated emission controlled tractors with sensors and computers..
Spending extra for a "major manufacturers" dealer service and support might not be a foolish thing even without considering the resale value.
If this was pre 2000 it would be a much simpler decision.👍

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #5  
The only negatives I considered with the LS were regen cycles (maybe 12-40 hours compared to 200+ with the Branson) and the lower lift height. The only issue I saw in two years of researching was the potential for the LS to go into limp mode for Regen, or for numerous sensors linked to the ECU motor. TYM has the Kukje diesel which doesn't have those electronics.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #6  
Making generalizations is never good, but watching this forum has me worrying about my XG3140 from 2 angles: when are troubles going to start, and how bad will it be when the pollution controls begin to have problems? Mine has about 200 hours on it, so it's practically new and I like it a lot, but the dealer has been pretty indifferent, and part availability during the Plandemic was lousy for the one part I needed.
Repeatedly, others who appear to have lots more experience than I do have said they'll look for a pre-smogged, used tractor. That is not an option for me because I'm all hobby-farmer and not an experienced mechanic (you, too?), but if the EPA can get between you and your work, you might be thinking about buying a fancy yard ornament.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #7  
Coming up on 600 on my XG3135 and nothing serious, just some loose bolts here and there.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #8  
Coming up on 600 on my XG3135 and nothing serious, just some loose bolts here and there.
Tough to outline problems you will encounter. Typically all manufacturers have had issues with mandatory EPA added emissions. Newest LS versions are 50 hour cycles depending on use. These tractors don’t like low RPM with emissions that is given fact. Some MT3 have had wrong wiring harness installed from factory however LS stood behind these units buying them back. Turbos on these units are sensitive to cold weather where as you should not run 15-40w diesel oil in colder climates. Other issues have been loss of ground due to corrosion on the connections to the frame. This site is historical book on user’s issues better to do your own research. I own two different models of LS Tractors MT225S and XR3135c both tractors after three plus years have had no major issues rather experienced issues with MMM deck wheels I reengineered with bearings for better swiveling. I too had same issues on what to purchase next. I had came from both Kioti and Kubota smaller units they to were just as equal in reliability than the LS tractors I own Today. Yes every once in awhile someone gets a lemon it’s the dealer and manufacturer that makes the difference on correcting the situation. Study this site and draw your own conclusions.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series
Study shows more regen issue threads (LS says every 2 hours is normal is one heck of a read) than I feel comfortable with. We are in very cold weather so that turbo sensitivity is a big thing.

one of the big things on the 494 was the ability to easily bypass all the regen system and no sensors or turbo to deal with...sigh...might have to suck it up and just wait for the part...but maybe our lawyer can help incentive them to make it a priority.

Thanks for all these comments...a used older tractor is looking like the best option if we have to start over.

/ Working toward refund from TMY, hoping to move to LS...question on which HP and any concerns about your MT series #10  
You have to remember that this is not a part for this tractor. It is an alternate part, so not something they would have in stock.

Iowa dealer should have replaced the unit. If this was really a design issue, all of us with that unit would be having problems. It is frustrating, but not so much an oem problem as a bad dealer (1st one) problem.